Ooma Telo voice garbled; handsets sound fine

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
rwinnike
Ooma Telo voice garbled; handsets sound fine

Post by rwinnike » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:27 am

Hello,
The voice from my Ooma Telo is really garbled/tinny, like the internal speaker went bad (e.g. when listening to voice mail). It wasn't always like this and I'm not sure why (or when) it changed. The garbling voice on the Telo may have started a month or more ago. The Telo handsets have always sounded fine. The most recent firmware upgrade was also just installed. I was hoping this might fix the garbled/tinny voice in the Telo but it didn't.

Other than that my Ooma system works great. However I can't listen to voicemail directly from the Telo as it's too hard to understand. I'm set up with the modem-router-Ooma configuration.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dick W.

thunderbird

Re: Ooma Telo voice garbled; handsets sound fine

Post by thunderbird » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:23 pm

rwinnike wrote:Hello,
The voice from my Ooma Telo is really garbled/tinny, like the internal speaker went bad (e.g. when listening to voice mail). It wasn't always like this and I'm not sure why (or when) it changed. The garbling voice on the Telo may have started a month or more ago. The Telo handsets have always sounded fine. The most recent firmware upgrade was also just installed. I was hoping this might fix the garbled/tinny voice in the Telo but it didn't.

Other than that my Ooma system works great. However I can't listen to voicemail directly from the Telo as it's too hard to understand. I'm set up with the modem-router-Ooma configuration.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dick W.
Probably your Ooma Telo speaker is failing. But first do the following:

Remove power from the Ooma Telo for twenty minutes, repower the Ooma Telo and test.

If that doesn't help, If your Ooma Telo is within the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer Support and have them send you a replacement Ooma Telo. The Ooma Telo is shipped, shiping perpaid, and you will receive a shipping label to ship the defective Ooma Telo back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

rwinnike

Post by rwinnike » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks Thunderbird. I removed the power for >20 min to no avail. I then contacted Ooma support and the 2nd level tech said it sounded like a defective speaker. They are sending me a new Ooma Telo as I'm still under warranty.
Regards,
DW

rwinnike

Post by rwinnike » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Received the new Ooma Telo and it works fine.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:48 pm

rwinnike wrote:Received the new Ooma Telo and it works fine.
Great! :D

alager

Post by alager » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Very odd, mine started to do the same thing about about 2 weeks ago. I've had my Telo for more than a year. What are my options, as I don't want to have to shell out $200 because of a garbled speaker.

Also, it seems odd, since as an engineer, I know that speakers don't fail unless they are over driven till the voice coil melts or the cone tears. However it could also be the speaker amplifier circuit, which again would need to be over driven.

Aaron

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:03 pm

alager wrote:Very odd, mine started to do the same thing about about 2 weeks ago. I've had my Telo for more than a year. What are my options, as I don't want to have to shell out $200 because of a garbled speaker.

Also, it seems odd, since as an engineer, I know that speakers don't fail unless they are over driven till the voice coil melts or the cone tears. However it could also be the speaker amplifier circuit, which again would need to be over driven.

Aaron
If the Ooma is just beyond a year, sometimes Ooma will still let you purchase and extended warranty. Then they will replace the defective Ooma.

If you purchased your Ooma from Costco, their warranty is longer, check that out.

Also if you purchased your Ooma with a credit card, sometimes that card will replace the Ooma device for up to two years after purchase. None of these suggestions may help, but it's worth checking it out.

alager

Post by alager » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:03 am

What happened to my posts? :x

alager

Post by alager » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 am

ooma doesn't want to support a community that can fix their own devices?! They would rather you support a wasteful stream of consumer waste by just throw away an otherwise perfectly good Telo, instead of repair/replace the speaker.
My opinion of ooma is sinking fast! :x

cratner

Post by cratner » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi. I'm sooo disappointed. I too have experienced what you described with my Telo -- tinny and crackly sound from the speaker. I'm not an engineer, but something happened and I don't know what. I take good care of my electronics and I understand poor quality or workmanship can lead to degraded performance and failure prematurely. I installed my Ooma in Aug of 2010 and have greatly appreciated having the service as I'm a paid Premier subscriber.

The problem cropped up just beyond the 1 year warranty. So I just today called Ooma support for assistance, but was disheartened to learn that they would not do anything for me. Had I known about an extended warranty, I'd surely purchase it. According to their own FAQ, I should have seen it on the Add-On's page, but alas I've never seen the Extended Warranty option on the page. The rep was surprised I didn't have it as an option on the page, either.

As a Premier Account holder, I've been a paying subscriber for 16+ mo. I surely would have hoped that my loyalty to "buy" into the program would have accounted for something. According to their website http://www.ooma.com/app/support/annual- ... -free-gift, they're giving away free extra year warranties! I wasn't even offered a free warranty for being a premier customer by the agent on the phone and I was never offered anything or took advantage of anything free when I joined).

Very disappointed in the service quality. I urge Ooma to rethink this approach and do the right thing here. I would be more than happy to pay for the extra year warranty had it been offered to me. :cry: