Ooma Telo voice garbled; handsets sound fine

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
alager
Re: Ooma Telo voice garbled; handsets sound fine

Post by alager » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 am

I was able to replace the speaker for my ooma, with an external speaker. 8ohms works fine. The issue I found was that the speaker needs some sort of cavity to resonate with, in order to get a decent amount of sound out. I used a paper cup. :D
The original speaker is so small that I couldn't find one that fit into the resonant caivty inside the telo box.

I could do this for anyone for about $25, just message me.

Aaron

alager

Post by alager » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 am

The other option is to go to Bestbuy or costco, buy one, and remove the new speaker from it and replace it with a love note to ooma. Something like "f*#k you and your speaker problems!" should work fine. Then return that item as defective to the store. Don't worry, the stores just ship it back to ooma. If enough people do this, then when ooma opens them for repair, maybe they'll start to get the picture that their current speaker non-repair program SUCKS! :x

Aaron

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 am

alager wrote:The other option is to go to Bestbuy or costco, buy one, and remove the new speaker from it and replace it with a love note to ooma. Something like "f*#k you and your speaker problems!" should work fine. Then return that item as defective to the store. Don't worry, the stores just ship it back to ooma. If enough people do this, then when ooma opens them for repair, maybe they'll start to get the picture that their current speaker non-repair program SUCKS! :x

Aaron
Tsk-tsk. Same ignoble action as buying a new one and sending in a broken one for return.

alager

Post by alager » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:37 am

That's how a throw away ooma society operates. Ooma chose it, we live in it.
If you look through the posts you'll see that every single person has attempted to find a repair option, even if they have to pay for it. But ooma doesn't want to support that, they want us to throw it away and buy a new one.
Quid pro quo, I say.

Aaron

PS. Don't worry, I'm sure the moderator will delete the post within a day anyhow. They like to delete my posts.

alager

Post by alager » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:45 am

Here is my DIY fix for my speaker.
mail.google.com2.jpg
whole system
mail.google.com2.jpg (27.54KiB)Viewed 7258 times
mail.google.com1.jpg
wires comming out
mail.google.com1.jpg (91.52KiB)Viewed 7258 times
The attachment mail.google.com3.jpg is no longer available
Aaron
Attachments
mail.google.com3.jpg
speaker in a cup
mail.google.com3.jpg (28.47KiB)Viewed 7258 times

GregM

Post by GregM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 am

I successfully replaced my Ooma Telo (Revision B) speaker with one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-20x14mm-Ova ... 1294045492

It's a 20x14mm oval speaker and fit and works perfectly. The factory speaker had degraded to the point that it sounded like one of the teachers in a Charlie Brown TV special. Now I can hear my voicemail again!