Speaker phone

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
jciarrocchi
Speaker phone

Post by jciarrocchi » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 am

I have a telo, and have a panasonic Dect 6.0 cordles phone with the base plugged into the Ooma. I have 2 satellite phones. The speaker phones on all 3 phones are terrible. Not to me, where they sound fine, but to the person I am talking to.

When I disable the speaker, and use the phone normally I am told by the listener that it sounds much better. there still is some over talk and delay however.

I want to use the speaker phone without hassle. suggestions?

thunderbird

Re: Speaker phone

Post by thunderbird » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:09 am

jciarrocchi wrote:I have a telo, and have a panasonic Dect 6.0 cordles phone with the base plugged into the Ooma. I have 2 satellite phones. The speaker phones on all 3 phones are terrible. Not to me, where they sound fine, but to the person I am talking to.

When I disable the speaker, and use the phone normally I am told by the listener that it sounds much better. there still is some over talk and delay however.

I want to use the speaker phone without hassle. suggestions?
Sounds like you are maybe having Half-Duplex conversations?

If you have the time, try the following to restore your Modem to Full-Duplex operation.
Remove power from your Modem, Ooma and Router. (Or whichever device is connected next in line), then repower the next device.

Isolation and troubleshooting:
If you sense no change, connect as follows for testing: Modem-Ooma, and a phone connected to the Ooma Telo. Leave the Router disconnected. Reboot the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, boot the Ooma Telo, and then test.

If you sense an improvement, next connect as follows: Modem-Ooma-Router, and a phone connected to the Ooma Telo. Disconnect any other device connected to the Router for isolation purposes. Remove power from the Modem, Ooma, and Router. Repower the Modem. Then when the Modem is done booting, repower your Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Router, and then test.

If you still sense improvement, add one of the devices that you normally have connected to the LAN side of you Router. Reboot everything again and test. Continue this process until you have found the device that is causing the Half-Duplex degradation.

Sometimes the Modem can be defective and cause this problem. For troubleshooting the Modem, take your Ooma Telo and wireless phones, to a friend or relative's home. First connect your Ooma Telo to their home Internet using their Modem and their Phone. If you sense improvement, Next to check your wireless phone system, while still at your friend or relative's home, connect your phone and see if there is a change, improvement or degradation.

Please report your findings.

jciarrocchi

Post by jciarrocchi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:41 am

Thunderbird,

Thanks for suggestions but no change. Same exact response. BTW, have a brand new modem and router.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:50 am

jciarrocchi wrote:Thunderbird,

Thanks for suggestions but no change. Same exact response. BTW, have a brand new modem and router.
You did test using a completely different phone?

Sounds like a different approch is needed.
Access your Ooma Telo, Ooma Setup pages and make some setting changes.
First:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Second:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to approximately 90 percent of the measured Upload and Download speeds as measued by http://www.speedtest.net/ . Click on Update. Remove power from the Ooma Telo. Wait 20 minutes. Repower the Ooma Telo.

Then test making and receiving calls.

jciarrocchi

Post by jciarrocchi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:50 am

Thunderbird, so far so good. My download speed is over 22 mbps, and upload is about 3.4. I adjusted qos as directed, and people report big improvement. fingers crossed. You saved one unit from being returned which is what I was going to do. any further suggestions for intermittent delay and even better quality on speaker phone?

Thanks for the help

jciarrocchi

Re: Speaker phone/Thuderbird

Post by jciarrocchi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 am

It's back...On call this AM. speaker sounded terrible according to the person called. me sounded fine. when i switched to regular phone, recipient said cleared up. I want to use a speaker phone. what can be done? are all Ooma problems recurring? Seems like many people have problems that come and go and mine is one. i need less not more hassle.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:25 am

jciarrocchi wrote:It's back...On call this AM. speaker sounded terrible according to the person called. me sounded fine. when i switched to regular phone, recipient said cleared up. I want to use a speaker phone. what can be done? are all Ooma problems recurring? Seems like many people have problems that come and go and mine is one. i need less not more hassle.
Reboot only your Modem. Then test your speaker phone and report back.

jciarrocchi

Post by jciarrocchi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 am

Thuderbird

Called the same party as before who said I hada problem. After rebotting the modem, they say all OK.

doesn't this stuff ever get fixed once and stay fixed? it seems it comes and goes.

thanks

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:01 pm

jciarrocchi wrote:Thuderbird

Called the same party as before who said I hada problem. After rebotting the modem, they say all OK.

doesn't this stuff ever get fixed once and stay fixed? it seems it comes and goes.

thanks
If by only rebooting the Modem, it appears that the problem is with the Modem.

To do more testing, when you could find some time, you could try connecting just your Modem and the Ooma device, with no other devices connected to your home's LAN, expect the phones connected the Ooma Device. You'd have to wait approximately the same amount of time that passed before you had speaker problems, and during that time the rest of your home's LAN would be out of service. If you have to have your home LAN up and running all of the time, than this isn't such a good idea.

Some modems have a reset where you can go through a process and reset the modem. Some modems have a battery that you have to temporarily remove during the reset. Reference your Modem Manual for the procedure. Some times this procedure helps, and some times not.

Or you could obtain another modem and try it. If you purchase the modem, if the speaker problem came back while using the new modem, you could always take it back.

jciarrocchi

Post by jciarrocchi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:53 am

Once again. This time primarily when talking to another person on speaker phone. will the telo head set help this? other issues? Guess the rule is to allocate an hour a week or so of unplugging, re setting equipment, checking forums for OOMa issues?

Seems like a lot to ask a user. Think I will consider taking back. checked at store, and they will take it back after almost 50 days.

so short time fuse here.