QOS

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
just4fn
QOS

Post by just4fn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:36 pm

I need some advice. My upload speed is 5.01MBps. What number would you put in the QOS? What is the conversion for kbps and do I go less 20%? I am assuming it is 5010kbps so I would enter 3990kbps?
Thanks for the help!
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

lohertz

Re: QOS

Post by lohertz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:40 pm

just4fn wrote:I need some advice. My upload speed is 5.01MBps. What number would you put in the QOS? What is the conversion for kbps and do I go less 20%? I am assuming it is 5010kbps so I would enter 3990kbps?
Thanks for the help!
Start with 5000 and work your way down until your VOIP quality is sufficient.

You can run a VOIP test at http://www.whichvoip.com

runagun

Post by runagun » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:21 am

Honestly, I wouldn't put it higher than 768k. If one day ur upload is really slow, ur quality could suffer. I was kinda of thinking of putting it to 0 and letting my router handle QOS.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:49 am

runagun wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't put it higher than 768k. If one day ur upload is really slow, ur quality could suffer. I was kinda of thinking of putting it to 0 and letting my router handle QOS.
You should let your router handle it.

Why whould you limit yourself to 768K of upload? If you go to upload a picture on to a website i.e. facebook, walmart photos, shutterfly, blog, whatever, you would seriously lose out on all that bandwidth your paying for.

OMG the difference would be huge! DO NOT LIMIT YOURSELF I would kill for upload speeds like that.

runagun

Post by runagun » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:53 pm

It all depends on the users setup. If the Ooma is before the router then the 80% rule applies. If the Ooma is after the router(like my setup) I would highly suggest to limit (depends on ones upload speeds) OR disable QOS on Ooma and let the router take care of it.

But, we have to take into account if one has a router that does QOS and what there internet connection is.

lohertz wrote:
runagun wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't put it higher than 768k. If one day ur upload is really slow, ur quality could suffer. I was kinda of thinking of putting it to 0 and letting my router handle QOS.
You should let your router handle it.

Why whould you limit yourself to 768K of upload? If you go to upload a picture on to a website i.e. facebook, walmart photos, shutterfly, blog, whatever, you would seriously lose out on all that bandwidth your paying for.

OMG the difference would be huge! DO NOT LIMIT YOURSELF I would kill for upload speeds like that.

just4fn

Post by just4fn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:14 pm

To not limit myself, would I put it at 0?
Ooma Telo, Hub.
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:20 pm

0 disables the Qos function. To not limit, enter your measured speed.

If ooma is behind the router, you can set it (the ooma QoS) to just about anything and it will not matter because your shaping the lan traffic thats plugged into the ooma's home port.

just4fn

Post by just4fn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Setup is: cable modem-ooma-router.
Ooma Telo, Hub.