Can't make outgoing calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
vrunda
Can't make outgoing calls

Post by vrunda » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello all,

I've been using ooma telo for about 2 yrs now. I moved to another State about 6 months ago, and continued using the same phone number. Everything worked fine until 3 days ago. All of a sudden, I can't make outgoing calls. I am still receiving incoming calls. Any help?

Thanks

thunderbird

Re: Can't make outgoing calls

Post by thunderbird » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

vrunda wrote:Hello all,

I've been using ooma telo for about 2 yrs now. I moved to another State about 6 months ago, and continued using the same phone number. Everything worked fine until 3 days ago. All of a sudden, I can't make outgoing calls. I am still receiving incoming calls. Any help?

Thanks
Power off your Ooma Telo for one hour. Then repower the Ooma Telo and test.

If that doesn't work try calling with a *98 before the number dialed. Example *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

*99 should help also but there may be echo after the call connects.

davidsoc

Post by davidsoc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Same thing has happened to me.
Can't make any out going calls, but still get incoming calls.

I didn't move though.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:35 pm

davidsoc wrote:Same thing has happened to me.
Can't make any out going calls, but still get incoming calls.

I didn't move though.
Did you try the suggestions in my previous post?

rodneyat

Post by rodneyat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:23 am

I am having the same issue. I have not tried 98 before a call yet. What does 98 do?

In my case, my call is actually going through. I just can't hear the other person and the other person can't hear me. Very annoying. I did power cycle my Telo but not for an hour as suggested Will try that next

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:44 am

rodneyat wrote:I am having the same issue. I have not tried 98 before a call yet. What does 98 do?

In my case, my call is actually going through. I just can't hear the other person and the other person can't hear me. Very annoying. I did power cycle my Telo but not for an hour as suggested Will try that next
*96 Use low-bandwidth codec (iLBC) for this phone call
*98 Use high-bandwidth codec (G711) for this phone call

DevItHere

Post by DevItHere » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:40 am

I am in these forums searching for a solution to this problem as well. Anyone find a solution yet? I cannot make outgoing calls most of the time. Meaning that sometime they do work (10% of the time). I have been in contact with support a few times now over the last several weeks, and still no solution.

With mine, I dial and it does nothing for 4 seconds and then I get a busy signal. Very frustrating to rarely be able to make outgoing calls. I end up using my cell which defeats the purpose. When I first bought this, in October, it worked fine. The problem started in December if I remember correctly.

rodneyat

Post by rodneyat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:42 am

DevItHere wrote:I am in these forums searching for a solution to this problem as well. Anyone find a solution yet? I cannot make outgoing calls most of the time. Meaning that sometime they do work (10% of the time). I have been in contact with support a few times now over the last several weeks, and still no solution.

With mine, I dial and it does nothing for 4 seconds and then I get a busy signal. Very frustrating to rarely be able to make outgoing calls. I end up using my cell which defeats the purpose. When I first bought this, in October, it worked fine. The problem started in December if I remember correctly.
That's about when I started having problems too. And it worked well for months before that. I get the feeling there was some sort of firmware update that occurred around then that has been causing the problems. This was one of my concerns with ooma all along. Once you've bought the hardware, they don't have any skin in the game as far as monthly fees go. So, they are not under as much pressure to make you happy...they already have your money.

EH1

Post by EH1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 am

Symptoms:
1) Cannot hear outgoing calls
2) Phone rings on the other end, but there is no ringback tone or connection when answered.
3) *98 does not apppear to help, or if it does, the ringback tone is delayed by 3 or 4 rings

Here's my setup:
PC -> U-verse Router (via LAN)
Ooma -> U-verse Router
Laptop -> U-verse Router (via Wi-Fi)
Epson printer -> U-verse Router (via Wi-Fi)

Here's what I'm finding...
So long as my PC is off the network, connected to the Ooma router, or off, I'm okay. This, of course, is completely unacceptable, BUT at least I have a means to make outgoing calls again.

I'm not sure when this problem started, but this, along with other problems I've been experiencing with Ooma, is really getting on my nerves! Well, I guess you get what you pay for...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 am

EH1 wrote:Symptoms:
1) Cannot hear outgoing calls
2) Phone rings on the other end, but there is no ringback tone or connection when answered.
3) *98 does not apppear to help, or if it does, the ringback tone is delayed by 3 or 4 rings

Here's my setup:
PC -> U-verse Router (via LAN)
Ooma -> U-verse Router
Laptop -> U-verse Router (via Wi-Fi)
Epson printer -> U-verse Router (via Wi-Fi)

Here's what I'm finding...
So long as my PC is off the network, connected to the Ooma router, or off, I'm okay. This, of course, is completely unacceptable, BUT at least I have a means to make outgoing calls again.

I'm not sure when this problem started, but this, along with other problems I've been experiencing with Ooma, is really getting on my nerves! Well, I guess you get what you pay for...
Using *98 as a temporary work around should help you for an Ooma Telo. Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Using *98 changes to a wider bandwidth.
You could also try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma. In this case nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port, except temporarily to connect a computer using a network cable to access Ooma Setup.

But in all cases everyone should report this problem to Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST