Calls Drop after 3-4 minutes

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
malli01
Re: Calls Drop after 3-4 minutes

Post by malli01 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:21 pm

I have same problem past two years and ooma customer support asked me to buy another telo.They dont want to admit their soft ware problems.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:42 pm

malli01 wrote:I have same problem past two years and ooma customer support asked me to buy another telo.They dont want to admit their soft ware problems.
Do you have an Ooma Telo or an Ooma Hub?

Is your connection Modem-Ooma-Router, or Modem-Router-Ooma?

By now you probably have your MAC address changed from Automatic to Use Built In?
This change is critical for most Dropped call problems.

By now if your Ooma device is positioned after the Router, you are using a static IP address in both your Router and your Ooma device?
Using the static IP address for the Ooma device often helps with the dropped call problems.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post page. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

malli01

Post by malli01 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:26 pm

malli01 wrote:I have same problem past two years and ooma customer support asked me to buy another telo.They dont want to admit their soft ware problems.
Thanks Thunderbird..mine is telo got 2 yrs ago ...ever since calls dropping..past 3 months calls are not dropping but goes into hold during call. and get disconnected.tried to contact customer support many times .now they are telling me my telo is no good and i have to buy new telo..
my connection is Modem-Ooma-Router
mac address changed to built in
speed test results.
Download Speed: ____8324 kbps___________
Upload Speed: _____4180 kbps___________
Download Consistency of Service ____55%____
Upload Consistency of Service ____95%_____
Maximum TCP Delay ________102ms_____
Jitter you server _______9ms___
Jitter server you ______10.2___
Packet loss: you server__0%_____
Packet loss: server you ___1.5%___
Packet discards _______3%__
Packets out of order ___0______
Estimated MOS score _____1___

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 pm

malli01 wrote:
Thanks Thunderbird..mine is telo got 2 yrs ago ...ever since calls dropping..past 3 months calls are not dropping but goes into hold during call. and get disconnected.tried to contact customer support many times .now they are telling me my telo is no good and i have to buy new telo..
my connection is Modem-Ooma-Router
mac address changed to built in
speed test results.
Download Speed: ____8324 kbps___________
Upload Speed: _____4180 kbps___________
Download Consistency of Service ____55%____
Upload Consistency of Service ____95%_____
Maximum TCP Delay ________102ms_____
Jitter you server _______9ms___
Jitter server you ______10.2___
Packet loss: you server__0%_____
Packet loss: server you ___1.5%___
Packet discards _______3%__
Packets out of order ___0______
Estimated MOS score _____1___
You have plenty of Internet speed, but it appears that your problem may be with your Internet connection or Modem.
Download Consistency of Service ____55%____.........Is just a little low, should be around 80%
Jitter you server _______9ms___..........................Should be less then 5ms
Jitter server you ______10.2___...........................Should be less then 5ms
Packet loss: server you ___1.5%___.......................Should be ZERO
Packet discards _______3%__..............................Should be ZERO
Estimated MOS score _____1___..........................Is really poor, should be around 4

High out of limits Jitter, packet loss and packet discards can and will cause at least some of the problems that you are having.

First try removing power from your Modem. Then repower the Modem.

Note: some Modems contain batteries which have to be temporarily removed to do a successful reboot.

Reference you Modem manual for battery removal procedure. Also see if there is a Modem reset procedure in your Modem manual. If there is a Modem reset, do that also, reference your Modem manual for procedure.
Then run Phonepower Speedtest again to see if the reading above improves to within limits.

If there isn't improvement to within the above limits, reboot/reset your Modem again, then test with Phonepower speedtest. Do this procedure two or three times to see if there is improvement to with limits.
If there is no improvement to within limits, borrow or purchase a Modem and test.

If the Modem doesn't help, contact your Internet provider and got them to correct the Internet signal coming into your home to the Modem.

Also on the Ooma side, do the following:
Do an Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Next:
Power off the Ooma device for one hour. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/correct/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Next:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Next:
Make sure that your Ooma device is positioned at least four feet away from your cordless phone base, router and any other electrical/electronic equipment.

Please report back as to your progress.

malli01

Post by malli01 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks Thundrbird so much...too late for today...I will try all advise yu gave me tomorrow and let yu know..

malli01

Post by malli01 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 am

I did everything you asked me to do except factory reset telo (i will do it on weekday)
see results below..I tested direct from motorola surf bord sb6121(brand new modem i got two months ago comcast cable)
I also tested direct from telo and via dlink wifi...
All tests are similar...see results below
down load avrage 25000kbps
upload speed avge 2000kbps
Download Consistency of Service ____78 to 95____......... should be around 80%
Jitter you server _______3 to 3.5ms___..........................Should be less then 5ms
Jitter server you ______0.2 to 1___...........................Should be less then 5ms
Packet loss: server you ___0%___.......................Should be ZERO
Packet discards _______0%__..............................Should be ZERO
Estimated MOS score _____4 to 4.1___.......................... should be around 4
I set download and upload 80% of values
Today so far no dropped calls..I am afraid of factory reset telo...
Thanks again and i will let you know progress...malli