Static Upon Connection

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
widmark
Static Upon Connection

Post by widmark » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 am

I just installed my ooma device in the past few days. Calls were pretty clear until recently. Now after I dial out and the call is connected/begins to ring, the line has moderate background static through the entire call. I don't know if this is the same with inbound calls.

The problem is not related to device interference near the hub or phone, since the static doesn't occur until a line begins to ring, and I have also moved devices around to see if there was interference. So its a transmission/ooma side issue.

dmlanger

Re: Static Upon Connection

Post by dmlanger » Sat May 16, 2009 1:53 pm

could be an ISP issue throttling your bandwidth or packet shaping...

i had a similar issue with noise interference and and for a while couldnt even make a call (incoming worked fine), turned out i was being port restricted(firewalled) and my bandwidth went from 1500 kb/s to 50 kb/s. I had to change the mac address to reset this and it worked fine. (now using a new provider)

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun May 17, 2009 7:15 am

Is the noise "echo / stutter" or is it "scratchy / hiss"?
Echo/stutter noises seem to indicate network issues, while scratchy/hiss noises seem to be cable, plug, wiring issues

blacknred0

Post by blacknred0 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 pm

i am also having some type of static problem when ever i call somebody. but, if somebody calls me the is no problem. :S

dmlanger

Post by dmlanger » Thu May 21, 2009 9:31 pm

think of an incoming call as a download and an outgoing call as an upload, most ISPs have a much higher download threshold than an upload . if u have a 6 megabit download you might only have a 2 megabit upload. when an incoming call is received u have a much higher limit so you are fine but when you are making an out going call you have a much lower limit so some packets arent getting through.

Try adjusting your QOS settings on the setup page