Fast Busy Signal when Calling out

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
rsnorris
Fast Busy Signal when Calling out

Post by rsnorris » Mon May 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Is anyone else experiencing a fast busy when calling out? Apparently, there was an issue for Canadians, but I don't see it on Twitter ...

Earlier this evening, I was on the phone (about 5:20 EDT) and the call dropped, and I was left with the ooma dialtone. Hmmm... I tried to call back but got a fast busy signal. I was about to use my cell, when I got called back and continued the conversation for a few minutes. An hour later, I tried calling out and there was the same fast busy signal. Later on, it seemed OK.

When I finally had time to call support, the tech advised me there had been an issue and the engineers have addressed it, but I needed to reset my Telo. When I asked a bit more, he advised me that it was a Canadian outage.

Just curious. My first day, and already an outage.

lbmofo

Re: Fast Busy Signal when Calling out

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Welcome. System wide outages are very few and far in between. Haven't noticed any outages today. Called numerous Ooma numbers today and many times without issues in NW US. My home phone went directly into VM to me but phones rang at home with silence when picked up a couple of times this morning; this too is very very rare but must have been related to some kind of degradation at Ooma. Don't worry about system outages, they happen very rarely.

Check out these optimal setups for your reference:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

Voice Quality Issues thread for your reference: viewtopic.php?t=10023

Also, not sure about Canada but in the US, if 10 digit dialing not enabled in my.oom.com, when calling own area code numbers dialing area code, you'd get busy signal (or message "call can't be completed").

thunderbird

Re: Fast Busy or Reorder Signal when Calling out

Post by thunderbird » Tue May 15, 2012 3:59 am

rsnorris:

Fast Busy or Reorder Tone
Quote From Wikipedia:
The reorder tone, also known as the fast busy tone, is the congestion tone or all trunks busy (ATB) tone of a public switched telephone network.

It varies from country to country; in the USA it is a dual-frequency tone of 480 Hz and 620 Hz at a cadence of 0.25 seconds on, 0.25 off; that is two beeps per second.

It is used to indicate that an invalid code has been dialed, or that all circuits (trunks) are busy and/or the call is un-routable.

[1] A PBX will often also do this for an invalid extension, while an invalid telephone number on the PSTN usually gets the triple special information tone and a recording.

Reorder tone is sometimes confused with the busy signal.
End of Quote.

Sometimes if you dial the complete number, example 1-xxx-xxx-xxx, the call will go through.

Sometimes if you dial the number with a *98 or *96 prefix, example *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx the call will go through.

If you can dial other numbers and they connect, then the first person's phone or exchange is having problems.

If you dial other numbers and they don’t connect, then the problem is probably with Ooma or the Internet provider's signal.

If you are using an Ooma device connected to the Internet with a network cable, access Ooma Setup and set MAC address from using Automatic to Use Built In.

johnvan

Post by johnvan » Tue May 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Glad to hear it wasn't just me. I'm in Canada and had this problem yesterday. I was afraid it was on my end.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue May 15, 2012 3:28 pm

johnvan wrote:Glad to hear it wasn't just me. I'm in Canada and had this problem yesterday. I was afraid it was on my end.
You're all good today?

johnvan

Post by johnvan » Wed May 16, 2012 12:29 am

I think so. I'm out of town, but yesterday I tried calling a few numbers and always got the fast busy. Incoming calls were fine. I rebooted the telo and it still didn't work. An hour later I tried and it was working.

rsnorris

Post by rsnorris » Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks... It has been stable ever since.

mcbrides4

Post by mcbrides4 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:16 am

I get this most every morning for quite a while, at least an hour and sometimes much more. I cant keep this service if I cant call out when needed. I just switched over less than a month ago and already these kinds of issues? Very frustrating. Is there anything that can be done?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:37 am

mcbrides4 wrote:I get this most every morning for quite a while, at least an hour and sometimes much more. I cant keep this service if I cant call out when needed. I just switched over less than a month ago and already these kinds of issues? Very frustrating. Is there anything that can be done?
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
If you haven't done so already, go into My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system and Enable Ten Digit Dialing, by putting a check mark in the box in front of Enable 10-digit dialing and then Saving. This action takes just a few minutes for the Ooma Servers to update, so wait a while and then test.

Next:
If you continue to have problems:

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

radionet

Post by radionet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 pm

This happened to me last weekend. I rebooted ooma and stil the same issue. Then I noticed that everytime I make a call, my phone (vtech) will dial very quickly than normal (saved phone number). I reset the power on the phone and the dialing went back to normal so as my outgoing call. :P