Heavy Echo on my end

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
trim81
Heavy Echo on my end

Post by trim81 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 pm

At first setup, maybe 3 weeks ago, call quality to both landline and cell phones were excellent.

I set up my QOS from the Hub and placed the Hub before my Router... so the Hub is controlling my QOS, all is well.

However, not sure what is that suddenly causing so much echo on my side. The other end can hear me fine, and no echo on their end.. but only my end.

Nothing has changed on my end...

This has started happening in the last 3 days or so.

Only things changed were:

1) My number successfully ported over on 8/22/2008
2) I put in a troubleshoot ticket to fix my OUTBOUND CALLER ID. (Name is not showing up)

--So I have a strong feeling it is something dealing with the outbound caller ID fix that is causing so much line noise for me to hear echo..

Also, not sure if this is a fix or not, but I tried placing a DSL filter before my Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phones...still get echo. (also tried putting DSL filter directly behind the Ooma Hub, Phone output...still has echo)

**Echo is only heard on my end, its like I can hear myself repeating what I have to say.

Can someone from the Ooma support team help?

Edit1* Like to mention that my OUTBOUND CALLER ID is still not fixed.. whenever I call someone it reads "Out of Area" --only my number shows, not my name.

Edit2* This tends to happen more heavily on calls to landlines...calls to cell phones does not have a heavy echo as opposed to calls to landlines...

Edit3* I am using a straight hub setup...no scout hooked up.
Last edited by trim81 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bluesgene

Re: Heavy Echo on my end

Post by bluesgene » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 pm

I am also experiencing echo often but not always. When it does happen, I can't even carry on a conversation. This started as soon as my number was successfully ported. I Had no echo when still tied to land line. Support told me the problem is from the house wiring being used for the Scout so I was told to try diconnecting from The house wiring and connect the Scout directly to the Hub. Didn't make a difference - still getting echo . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . echo.
I left Vonage for this very reason.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Bobby, can you comment on this please?

trim81

Post by trim81 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Update: As of 10:30pm PST 8-27-2008, my OUTBOUND CALLER ID finally works and echo seems to be lower.

Not sure what Ooma did on their end? Bobby??

Albedo

Post by Albedo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:50 am

I am also having bad echo. I noticed it today when I called two different numbers. It's like listening to yourself a split second afterwards, repeating the entire conversation.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

trim81

Post by trim81 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:19 am

Albedo wrote:I am also having bad echo. I noticed it today when I called two different numbers. It's like listening to yourself a split second afterwards, repeating the entire conversation.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?
are you still experiencing this problem?

My problem appears to be fixed, and call quality is back to being great.

I suggest giving tech support a call...I think they will add an echo suppressor to your line. (just a thought)

**They WILL fix the probklem, Im fairly certain of it

guitarzar

Post by guitarzar » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:18 am

I have yet to experience this but my wife tells me that every time she calls her daughter she gets a nasty persistent echo. This is a call from the 310-834-.... number to 714-970-.... not sure that matters but I am wondering what can be done to fix this issue. She says it happens every time she calls and she calls at different times of the day too. My wife's confidence in ooma is quite low and I really want to convince her that ooma is good stuff! :)

Thanks for your help,
Robert

trim81

Post by trim81 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:37 am

guitarzar wrote:I have yet to experience this but my wife tells me that every time she calls her daughter she gets a nasty persistent echo. This is a call from the 310-834-.... number to 714-970-.... not sure that matters but I am wondering what can be done to fix this issue. She says it happens every time she calls and she calls at different times of the day too. My wife's confidence in ooma is quite low and I really want to convince her that ooma is good stuff! :)

Thanks for your help,
Robert
As mentioned in prior posts, give Ooma a call.

When I've spoken to them, they said that there *might* be an issue with their "providers"

BTW, I am in your same area.. Los Angeles County...

trim81

Post by trim81 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Robert: has your problem been fixed?

My echo has now returned...

Kort

Post by Kort » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:20 am

I just recently starting having this problem to.
This only happens when I make the outgoing call, not the other way around.
The number I was calling was 203-393-....
The person on the other end does not hear the echo, but for me it is very loud and makes it hard to carry on the conversation. I have the hub and a scout, but no second line connected to the Scout. (my phone does not have a cord for the other handsets)

Any answers about this yet? As I stated, this is a relatively recent problem.