Heavy Echo on my end

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Bobby B
Ooma Moderator
Re: Heavy Echo on my end

Post by Bobby B » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 am

We've identified the source of the echo that seemed to crop up about 1 week ago. The problem is due to a new telecommunications connection one of our calling partners recently installed. We're currently working with them to remedy the issue as quickly as possible. We'll also be looking into implementing a temporary workaround to the problem.

-Bobby
Bobby B

bluesgene

Post by bluesgene » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Just an update: still experiencing echo at least 50% of the time and don't detect that it discriminates. I hear it whether I'm on the scout or the hub, whether I make or receive a call or whether it's to or from a land line or cell phone. No response from Customer Support except what I posted earlier on this thread. I did try different QOA settings in Ooma Setup/Advanced. I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems that I get less echo by setting both download and upload to "0". When I set bandwidth speed to what is recommended, that is, to just under actual speeds tested, I get wicked echo (and more). I've got a HS cable internet connection with well over 4000 kbps upload and over 12000 kbps download so you would think I'd have perfect sound quality but alas . . . alas. . . . . . . alas . . . . .
. . . . echo . . . . echo . . . .

trim81

Post by trim81 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Bobby B wrote:We've identified the source of the echo that seemed to crop up about 1 week ago. The problem is due to a new telecommunications connection one of our calling partners recently installed. We're currently working with them to remedy the issue as quickly as possible. We'll also be looking into implementing a temporary workaround to the problem.

-Bobby

Question: is the temp fix an echo supressor of some sort?

The first 2-3 seconds, I woujld head an echo, then after 5-6 seconds, the echo will go away.

Is there anyway to make the complete call 'echo-free'?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:10 am

2-3 seconds of echo in the beginning is a bit long. Sometimes you might hear .5-1 seconds of echo at the beginning because that's how long it can take the echo canceler to kick in.

We're still working with some our calling partners on resolving this echo issue -- hopefully you'll see less echo in the beginning of the call after the dust settles on this. If not, we may be able to take a look.
Bobby B

trim81

Post by trim81 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:20 am

update: as of 9/13/2008...

no more echo.

thanks to the Ooma team for the fix!

hoj

Post by hoj » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm

Today for the first time I had a heavy echo on my end. It was on a call I received, and it was from a long distance. The caller said that there was no echo. My wife said she heard the echo a few times before, but not always.

dunbabin

Post by dunbabin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:48 pm

I too am hearing some echo. I'm a new customer, and will start trying to get more debugging info. On user mentioned it happened after the caller id was working. This may be similar behavior for me. The first few days of Ooma service, my outgoing caller id was "Ooma Inc", and I can't remember ever hearing any echo. Recently it has been updated with my name, and now echo occurs. Not sure if some configuration was reset (such as disabling an echo canceler) with the caller id change, but possible I suppose. I will try to pay closer attention to when it happens and report back...

Is this something that can be fixed if I put in a support call? I wouldn't think so, since this seems more of a generic issue, and not a per user issue.

Kort

Post by Kort » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 am

FWIW, I've not noticed any echo on my calls for months now.
Thanks OOMA team.

atici

Post by atici » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:22 pm

I do experience echo from time to time. It does not happen at the first few seconds but generally happens in the middle of conversation. I hear my own echo, the other party doesn't hear it. It's very annoying and hard to debug because it happens maybe 2-3% of the time. Any suggestions?

sonic2000

Post by sonic2000 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:42 am

I just got my omma box today and set it up behind my router in which i also had problems with echo and quality. First I thought i hadn't effectively tweaked all the qos settings, but when i pulled out my landline (wall) connection the quality was better and the echos seemed to have dissapeared.
The area i live in LA, CA is plagued by a nearby radio/tv station which causes a lot of noise in the telephone lines. This noise might have propagated into the device causing problems.

Also replacing the rj11 cables with newer ones and the rj45 with a twisted one it also helped the quality. I also moved the box away from other devices such as fax machines and wireless routers. What i can't understand is the very very low, subtle noise, and constant sound as compared to my clear landline. It's so subtle that if you dont' usually use a landline you woudln't notice it, but of course it's not as bad as i seem to put it.