One ooma user's solution resolved my buzzing problem

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
scoobyrox
One ooma user's solution resolved my buzzing problem

Post by scoobyrox » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 am

I've had ooma for about a month. Set up was fine but I have been experiencing echoes and buzzing sound. I already went through ooma's protocol of checking internet speed and jitter and all that. My internet speed is standard at 5mpbs dl and 1mbps ul. Jitter is fine. Using a wired phone eliminates the echoes as I found out. I don't believe increasing my internet speed will eliminate the buzzing. I thought about getting another power adapter for the ooma but it's a pain to find the right one with the right Voltage and amp. So I am using ooma regardless of the buzzing sound. So getting an email from Ooma about a new HD2 set raises my question, "Will it eliminate the buzzing sound?". Yes the HD2 claims it uses DECT technology but people that used HD1 or the Panasonic DECT phones have problem with sound quality still. So is HD2 worth to try?

UPDATE: see my last post below for the solution I found out from another thread.
Last edited by scoobyrox on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lbmofo

Re: New HD2 set will resolve buzzing issue?

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:09 am

If you hear buzzing noise with wired phone, no other phone would get rid of that.

Check this thread out if haven't: viewtopic.php?t=6798

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:27 am

scoobyrox wrote:I've had ooma for about a month. Set up was fine but I have been experiencing echoes and buzzing sound. I already went through ooma's protocol of checking internet speed and jitter and all that. My internet speed is standard at 5mpbs dl and 1mbps ul. Jitter is fine. Using a wired phone eliminates the echoes as I found out. I don't believe increasing my internet speed will eliminate the buzzing. I thought about getting another power adapter for the ooma but it's a pain to find the right one with the right Voltage and amp. So I am using ooma regardless of the buzzing sound. So getting an email from Ooma about a new HD2 set raises my question, "Will it eliminate the buzzing sound?". Yes the HD2 claims it uses DECT technology but people that used HD1 or the Panasonic DECT phones have problem with sound quality still. So is HD2 worth to try?
The buzzing is probably caused by an internal Ooma Telo grounding problem. If your Ooma Telo is within the One year warranty period, I would consider contacting Ooma Customer Support and have them ship you a replacement Ooma Telo. Ooma will ship out an Ooma Telo shipping prepaid. They will also send along a prepaid shipping label to ship the defective Ooma Telo back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

scoobyrox

Post by scoobyrox » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 am

I called it a buzz sound but it is mainly various line noise, statics. Maybe buzzing may be a poor choice of words.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:58 am

scoobyrox wrote:I called it a buzz sound but it is mainly various line noise, statics. Maybe buzzing may be a poor choice of words.
All fits into the same catagory.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 am

scoobyrox, are you using a non DECT cordless phone? If so, your background noise might be due to interference with other devices in the house. DECT 6 would get you away from that.

scoobyrox

Post by scoobyrox » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 am

Are you 100% certain? I have seen ooma forum threads that indicated DECT phones may not solve the sound quality issue.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:18 am

DECT 6 (1.9 GHz) phones would be quieter than the older 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz phones for sure because less interference with what's around your house.

scoobyrox

Post by scoobyrox » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I found a ooma thread that solved my buzzing or line noise issue.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6798&hilit=Ooma+gro ... 6&start=40

My ooma is right next to my airport extreme router and I thought about possible wifi signal interference. I used a USB cable to connect to the USB port of the ooma and the other end, I connect it to touch the metal casing of my Mac pro. Since I didn't have parts from Radio shack, I thought I try using a pen cap that had a metal clipper. I clipped both the USB silver metal square end and the mac pro tower handle. I think using some kind of metal wire to wrap the usb cable end to the metal piece of your computer will work. (or some kind of grounding source) My wife noticed a big difference but not completely crystal clear. I hear slight buzz noise sound but I say it reduced it to almost nil. I will have to make more calls from different locations to see if this fix is the final solution. This is one cheap fix. I am grateful someone thought of it.

mykel63122

Re: One ooma user's solution resolved my buzzing problem

Post by mykel63122 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:25 am

Also try unregistering your handset, then registering it. That worked for me.