Call problems with Dect 6.0 phone

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
foxcroft
Re: Call problems with Dect 6.0 phone

Post by foxcroft » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:15 pm

here are my results (yes, i did have the up/down inverted :(

Download Speed: 5334________________
Upload Speed: __685______________
Download Consistency of Service _84%_______
Upload Consistency of Service ___99%______
Maximum TCP Delay _____113 ms________
Jitter you server __4.0ms________
Jitter server you _____6,2ms____
Packet loss: you server___0____
Packet loss: server you __0____
Packet discards ____0.8%_____
Packets out of order ___0______
Estimated MOS score ____4.1____

also, help me understand my setup....my ooma telo is plugged directly into my modem/router...is this what you call "A Modem-Router-Ooma connection"?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:01 am

foxcroft wrote:here are my results (yes, i did have the up/down inverted :(
Download Speed: 5334________________
Upload Speed: __685______________
Download Consistency of Service _84%_______
Upload Consistency of Service ___99%______
Maximum TCP Delay _____113 ms________
Jitter you server __4.0ms________
Jitter server you _____6,2ms____
Packet loss: you server___0____
Packet loss: server you __0____
Packet discards ____0.8%_____
Estimated MOS score ____4.1____

also, help me understand my setup....my ooma telo is plugged directly into my modem/router...is this what you call "A Modem-Router-Ooma connection"?
A Modem-Router-Ooma connection has a simular or same function as a Modem/Router-Ooma connection.

Jitter server you ___6.2ms____.....This reading is should be less then 5ms.
Packet discards ____0.8%_____........This reading should be Zerro.

Overall MOS score is 4.1 which is very good. But often during different heavy overall Internet provider user times of the day, the Phonepower readings may become worse, if the Jitter and Packet loss is observed.

Usually when Jitter is high and there is Packet loss, the Modem is malfunctioning, or the Internet provider signal is defective.
Locate your Modem/Router Owner's Manual and see if there is a Reset procedure. If so do the Reset procedure per the Modem/Router Owner's Manual. If not do a Reboot of the Modem/Router.

Note: Some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed to allow a successful Reset or Reboot, reference your Modem/Router Owner's Manual for battery removal procedure.

After the Reset or Reboot, run Phonepower again and see if your Jitter and Packet Discards readings improve.

Doing these things may not help to improve the One Way Calling Problem. So if it doesn't, be sure to contact Ooma Customer Service with that problem.

foxcroft

Post by foxcroft » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:03 am

Thanks. ALl is working now!! I did everything outlined with the exception of setting the QoS settings on the router...my bell router doesn't seem to have this feature.

RedTennies

Post by RedTennies » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:52 pm

thunderbird wrote:
foxcroft wrote:Thanks thunderbird - - I'll give this a try. Couple of questions for further clarification:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: __2151 kbps______________
Upload Speed: ____101 kbps____________
Download Consistency of Service ____72%____
Upload Consistency of Service _____48%____
Maximum TCP Delay _______170 ms______
Jitter you server _____23.4 ms_____
Jitter server you ____4.0 ms_____
Packet loss: you server____.2%___
Packet loss: server you ____0%__
Packet discards _____5.6%____
Estimated MOS score ___3.6_____

I have no idea what all this means or how to fix my call quality problems. I cannot go to http://172.27.35.1--my internet just doesn't go there. I did manage to get my firmware number 63430. To remedy my problem I disconnected the wireless ooma connection and used the cable to connect to the router. It seems a little better but not cured. Most of my problem is with my voice not the person I called. They say I sound underwater and can't be understood.

I don't know if I have modem-ooma-router or what connection. I just connected ooma to router and ooma to phone. I have a panasonic phone with 2 handsets. I just asked for an ooma handset for Christmas. Have only had Ooma since September and the call quality just deteriorated in the last 2 weeks. *sigh* I so want Ooma to work.

Setting MAC address In My Ooma:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Quality of Service settings:
For a Modem-Ooma-Router connection.
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

For A Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Set Ooma Setup Quality of Service Settings, both to Zero. For this connection, if the router has QoS settings or can set VoIP priority for a device, then give the Ooma Telo top priority in the Router.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:44 am

RedTennies:
Download Speed: __2151 kbps______________
Upload Speed: ____101 kbps____________........has to be at least 348 kbps
Download Consistency of Service ____72%____
Upload Consistency of Service _____48%____
Maximum TCP Delay _______170 ms______.......should be 100 ms or less
Jitter you server _____23.4 ms_____..............should be less then 5 ms
Jitter server you ____4.0 ms_____
Packet loss: you server____.2%___.................msut be Zero
Packet loss: server you ____0%__
Packet discards _____5.6%____.....................must be Zero
Estimated MOS score ___3.6_____

Quote from Ooma: Ooma is engineered for great voice quality but you will need a high-speed Internet connection equivalent to at least a typical DSL connection with 384 kbps upstream and downstream.

RedTennies: Looking at the numbers above, you problem isn't with the Ooma Telo, it's with the Modem or Internet provider signal.

Upload Speed of 101 kbps isn't a high enough speed to support the Ooma Telo. The outbound Jitter is much to high, and you shouldn't have any Packet loss or discards.

Check the modem owner's manual and see if there is a Modem Reset procedure. If so, per the owner's manual do a Modem reset procedure. If not do a Modem reboot, which is removing power from the Modem, then restoring power to the Modem.

Note: some modems contain a battery that must removed to allow a successful Modem reset or reboot. Reference the Modem owner's manual for battery removal procedure.

After the Modem Reset or reboot, run Phonepower Speedtest again. Make sure that the Upload speed is at least 348 kbps, the jitter is less then 5 ms, and their is no packet loss or discards.

If the Upload Speed is still less then 348 kbps, then contact your Internet provider and find out what your upload speed should be, and have repairs made or have the Upload speed increased, what ever is required. This will probably help the jitter and packet loss problem.
If the Upload speed comes up to at least 348 kbps, but the jitter is still high and there are still packet problems, the modem may have to be replaced??