Strange problem

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
fmangini
Strange problem

Post by fmangini » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 pm

People cannont hear my voice when I call them from my Ooma line. I can hear them just fine. I then called my office phone to see if I could record a voicemail. That worked fine, and sounded great. So, real people cannot hear me but voice-mail systems can. Very strange.

I have my Ooma hub in front of my router.

Any ideas?

Clifftr

Re: Strange problem

Post by Clifftr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:52 am

Call ooma support at 1-888-711-6662. They're available Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm, and Saturday and Sunday, 8am to 5pm, PST.

donwob

Post by donwob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 am

Hi,

I also experienced a similar experience when during a conversation the other person could not hear me. Quite frequently, they would hang up after 5 seconds of yelling "can you hear me?".

I contacted support, they modified the QOS, with no luck and the senario persisteted. Then I tried two thing at once, so I really don't know what "fixed" the issue on my side.

I replaced my Comcast modem with a new one. And, I increase the speed package with comcast to 2 meg upload. Since then I have not had the issue. I can tell you I am not that wild about paying $10 more a month to save $24 a month for my local call service.

Over the next few weeks, I'll try and downgrade to the cheap internet package and see if the call quality stays the same.

Might be worth a shot.

Don

trim81

Post by trim81 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Don, I am on a 1.5mbit tier from my DSL service... with 384k upload... works perfect with Ooma.

I do not think you need the higher tier package.

What was your old speed plan?
Last edited by trim81 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fmangini

Post by fmangini » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:22 pm

donwob wrote:Hi,

I also experienced a similar experience when during a conversation the other person could not hear me. Quite frequently, they would hang up after 5 seconds of yelling "can you hear me?".

I contacted support, they modified the QOS, with no luck and the senario persisteted. Then I tried two thing at once, so I really don't know what "fixed" the issue on my side.

I replaced my Comcast modem with a new one. And, I increase the speed package with comcast to 2 meg upload. Since then I have not had the issue. I can tell you I am not that wild about paying $10 more a month to save $24 a month for my local call service.

Over the next few weeks, I'll try and downgrade to the cheap internet package and see if the call quality stays the same.

Might be worth a shot.

Don
Thanks. I have tried a new modem. My upload speed is tested at 350k. I was OK with Vonage for a few years. I will call support when I get a chance.

But, still not sure why I can leave a message on my office voice mail, but no human can hear me.

fmangini

Post by fmangini » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:51 pm

I put the number I got from the voip speed test (364k) into the QOS upstream at setup.ooma.com, and the problem is gone.

Thanks!

The problem came back. So i had this problem before with Vonage....The only thing different about the system was the installation of Carbonite online backup client. I have disabled the client and now the calls sound great.