Echo when my wife uses the phone...

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
bryanlyle
Echo when my wife uses the phone...

Post by bryanlyle » Mon May 04, 2009 1:51 pm

So, why would my wife hear echo every time she uses the phone but I never do? Could it be her voice that causes the echo? Or talking too loud?

We are talking to the same people, etc. so I don't think it's a routing issue.

Just trying to pinpoint why it happens to her on 99% of the calls and as yet to happen to me.
follow me on twitter: @bryanlyle

southsound

Re: Echo when my wife uses the phone...

Post by southsound » Mon May 04, 2009 2:07 pm

It could indeed be some of the things you mentioned - the tonal range of her voice compared to yours, the way she holds the handset (somewhat away from her ear, losing sound from the handset not being seated firmly to seal out sound), the volume she has the handset at, or the level of her speaking voice. My wife speaks much louder on the phone than I do and sometimes hears echo. She also tends to have the handset volume up higher than I care for.

See if she can modify some of the differences and if the changes result in a more satisfying experience. We'd love to hear the report.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Mon May 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Ok. i'll tell my wife she talks too loud. This should be fun :)

I will report back my findings.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon May 04, 2009 2:52 pm

You might want to approach the topic with a little more finesse. Something like, "You know, this new ooma system is really sensitive. I've found that I have to talk a little softer for it to work well with me. Since your beautiful voice is of a little higher pitch than mine, you might find you will need to adjust your speaking a little to compensate for the ooma. By the way, you sure look nice today. Is that a new outfit? Can we go to your mom's this Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day? How about if we stop and I buy her some nice flowers."

After 26 years I've found sometimes things have to be said in a special way. :)
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I find that I sometimes have to turn down the volume on my cordless handset to eliminate echo. And with some callers, I have to turn it up again to hear them.

When I was using my landline, I always had the volume all the way up and still had to have callers repeat what they'd said if they didn't speak right into their microphone. I also had a lot of static on the landline that I always figured was from the house wiring. Now with ooma, I don't have that anymore.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon May 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Heck if she's anything like my wife I can hear an echo when she's NOT on the phone.
Good luck Bryanlyle!

Wayne

buzzman

Post by buzzman » Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Every time my wife opens her mouth, her voice keeps echoing in my head for days. I am not sure if Ooma is at fault. :)

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Mon May 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Oh boy, did I start something here :-)

I turned the volume down on all the handsets to see if that makes a difference. My mother-in-law used the system for 45 minutes tonight and didn't complain. If there had been an echo, I would have known about it!

bnlkmtka@mchsi.com

Post by bnlkmtka@mchsi.com » Tue May 05, 2009 6:44 am

I am a man with a normal male voice.

I experience the echo effect with long distance calls. When making a call to Iowa from Minnesota I could hear the last 2-3 words I said repeated. The person I was talking to did not hear this.

When I was talking to someone in Florida yesterday I heard an echo effect. The echo was so pronounced that it was hard to carry on the conversation. Again the person I was talking to did not hear the echo.

Local calls are no problem. I have used the Ooma phone for one week.

oomg

Post by oomg » Tue May 05, 2009 7:08 am

buzzman wrote:Every time my wife opens her mouth, her voice keeps echoing in my head for days. I am not sure if Ooma is at fault. :)
You think that's bad... Take my wife... please! (with apologies to Henny Youngman)
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.