general CQ problem

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Tdub
general CQ problem

Post by Tdub » Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 pm

My Ooma call quality seems to get worse over time (very strange). Now it's terrible. It was fine a few months ago when service started. Haven't done anything except played with the upstream QOS setting. My call quality immediately deteriorated after that, and it is bad regardless of what setting I put in the box (of course, following the instructions for it), even using the default/original setting of 384. All my DSL speed tests indicate fine DSL service with not hiccups. Only use Ooma, no analog voice service. I get lots of dropouts, and the intermittent impact sound. Please help. Where to start?

Neubiee

Re: general CQ problem

Post by Neubiee » Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

try this:

1) Remove the power for the ooma device

2) Hold down the ooma tab [blue light] connect the power <Hold it down while you plug it in> and continue to hold for 40 secs until all the lights start flashing and once the flashing of all lights are done release the tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

t4feb

Post by t4feb » Tue May 05, 2009 3:45 pm

I use a Hawkins Broadband Booster on mine and it seems just fine with out having to set any QoS settings what so ever. Just a thought for everyone having problems with the QoS settings.
Terry

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue May 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Tdub,

If all else is set back to factory default as Neubiee suggested, and you still have problems, then the problem may not be with your settings or with your hub - it may be due to problems with the partner ooma uses in your locality. I would keep a record of the worst calls for a few days - time of day, number called, incoming or outgoing, etc. Then give customer service a call at 888 711-6662. Let them know what has been happening and the results on your list of numbers/times. They can do some awesome things checking logs of the calls to see how they were routed and the carriers used. It may be a problem for more than just you. At any rate, with the proper information in hand they can make any changes required and have you back up to great quality. Let us know how things are resolved.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Tdub

Post by Tdub » Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Neubiee:

Having powered off and then powered on with the Blue tab pressed down, the red lights on the box continued flashing for at least a couple minutes (tab still pressed down). What do you do then? Is it supposed to go to the normal-on state (with the tab blue and no other lights on) before you let off the tab, in order to get the box initialized?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue May 05, 2009 4:49 pm

30 seconds should be enough.

Wayne

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Tue May 05, 2009 6:00 pm

like wayne mentioned let go off the tab(30-40 secs) after it starts blinking. it should reinitialize itself.. will take about 3-4 minutes at most after that and then turn blue.

Tdub

Post by Tdub » Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 am

I initialized the Ooma box. It did not help. Still terrible VQ. I'm also getting echoes, on calls from various places throught the country. Echoes, drop-outs and impact sounds. It's unbearable. If someone gives me a number over the phone, invariably at least one of the digits is dropped out in the transmission.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed May 06, 2009 9:58 am

Time to make a call to customer service at 888 711-6662. Let them know what you have done and the approximate time and numbers for the problem calls. Also have avaialble your results from recent speed tests. They may want to you do some checks with the network diagnostic server at http://ndt.iupui.nuq01.measurement-lab.org:7123/ as well. The page may say the server is unavailable, but when the START button appears, you can start the test. After is is finished, click on STATISTICS and you can copy and paste the results to ooma if they need them. ooma customer service can do some great diagnostics from the above information. Let us know how things work out for you!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Thu May 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Tdub - let us know if it has been fixed and what did CS do to fix it? thanks