Outgoing audio breaking up, not understandable.

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
roger
Outgoing audio breaking up, not understandable.

Post by roger » Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 am

What needs to be done to correct this situation? The phone system is not usable until I can get this corrected. I am using an AT&T 598 USB air card, connected to the cradlepoint router, then the hub, then the computer.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks, roger

WayneDsr

Re: Outgoing audio breaking up, not understandable.

Post by WayneDsr » Thu May 07, 2009 8:43 am

If I understand correctly, you are using a "wireless" cell phone card.

Wireless of any kind (satelite, point to point, cell) is not recommended for ooma systems. Only fiber, cable, or dsl will work.

Wayne

just4fn

Post by just4fn » Thu May 07, 2009 8:44 am

Although I could not find where it states it. I don't think ooma works with a wireless card. It has to be cable,fiber or dsl That is most likely your problem
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu May 07, 2009 8:59 am

As others have said, OOMA is not recommended for wireless / satellite internet connections

You may make a speed test here: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

and read/post your results for analysis

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 am

From the User Guide pdf online:

WHAT YOU NEED IN YOUR HOME:
To install ooma you will need to have a high-speed (DSL, cable, or fiber-optic) internet connection. Dial-up internet connections are not fast enough to support the ooma device. The ooma system also does not support satelite or wireless broadband connections.

Wayne

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 am

It's also in the FAQ or knowledgebase.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 pm

The official line is that ooma requires a fixed-line high-speed Internet connection and that satellite/wireless setups are not supported. Of course we do nothing to block them from working, but from experience we know that the likelihood of failure (i.e. not meeting the customer's expectation for voice quality) for the average consumer is way too high, so we recommend against it.

That said, we run many of our demos off a 3G network, using a very similar setup: Cradlepoint + 3G card + ooma. It's not going to give you the absolute best voice quality, but when it works, it still sounds great. For our purposes, we often don't have an alternative anyway and any working demo is usually better than none at all.

I've built and deployed countless of these systems all around the country - heck I even have one running in my car. There's really only two things that matter- signal strength and the 3G network itself. EVDOInfo.com recently posted a review of ooma:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2754/40/

These guys are very knowledgeable and based on their tests, you should be looking for a signal strength of -85dbm. If you are not getting that, you should be looking at an external antenna, or a different network.

We use one carrier for most of our deployments, but I've have plenty of cases where I just wasn't getting the coverage that I needed in a specific location and I had to swap out the card for another carrier. The other variable here is the load on the network itself. Voice is very sensitive to any drops and those drops can occur on the radio link, or in the deeper in the 3G network. A powerful signal doesn't always equate to good voice quality and again, there is nothing that you can really do except try another carrier.

whn

Post by whn » Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm

even with Cable Modem Internet it still breaks up for me. e