QOS with dropcam

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Brock
QOS with dropcam

Post by Brock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 am

We have the Ooma right after our cable modem and before everything else in the house. At Christmas we added a drop cam, which uploads at 250k continuously. I didn't think this would be an issue since the Ooma should take what it needs being in front. About 2 weeks ago we started having issues with people saying our voice was stuttering and breaking up and called it with our cel phones and can hear it. To do an experiment we turned off the drop cam and it did clear up. Then I tried running speedtest.net and every time it started the upload part the voice would get really bad or stop completly. Again everything is after the Ooma. We typically get about 900k upload give or take 50k and download is about 14meg give or take. I tried changing the QOS to 900, it does the same thing, I tried changing it to 500 same thing, I tried changing it to 350, same thing. I did re-boot the Ooma each time.

So my question is why, if the Ooma is in the front, when I run the speedtest do we loose our voice? I mean I know it is because we don't have enough upload bandwidth, but isn't that what Ooma is supposed to do is limit that? By the way no matter what setting I had in the QOS the upload speed test was the same, again shouldn't that have dropped to whatever speed I put in the QOS?

We would rather loose our upload speed on everything else to have a clear phone call. Heck even the drop cam will buffer and then once it gets enough bandwidth "catch up" so to speak.

Thoughts?

lbmofo

Re: QOS with dropcam

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 am

Do you have a router which can do QoS based on MAC? If so, give that a shot (put Ooma on router and have router give Ooma highest priority).

Brock

Post by Brock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:45 am

I should say I know just enough to be dangerous. I think you mean to tell the router to only give so much to each address it sees? I wouldn't know if it can but I have a friend how is an IT guy.

But isn't setting the QoS in Ooma suppose to do just that? Or am I doing it wrong?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 am

With Ooma QoS turned on, you should only see the upload badnwidth change to less than what you set in Ooma while doing speedtest when you are on a call. In other instances, you should see the full bandwidth of your internet.

I thought if you can set QoS on the router via MAC/IP, then you can test out that configuration (Ooma behind your router) and see how your camera affects phone conversations.

But, you can check out this "Optimal Setup" for Ooma before the router and see: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

Brock

Post by Brock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:41 pm

I do have the internet setting setto use the built in MAC address. I just changed the upstream internet speed to 350 with a download of 0 and re-booted everything (Do I really need to do that each time?). Then I ran speed test while on the phone and got the same thing, just over 900k and my wife said the voice got really choppy during the upload portion of the test. I swear the QoS isn't sticking or working.

The one thing I haven't tried is 0 up and 0 down

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Brock wrote:I do have the internet setting setto use the built in MAC address. I just changed the upstream internet speed to 350 with a download of 0 and re-booted everything (Do I really need to do that each time?). Then I ran speed test while on the phone and got the same thing, just over 900k and my wife said the voice got really choppy during the upload portion of the test. I swear the QoS isn't sticking or working.

The one thing I haven't tried is 0 up and 0 down
Default Upstream Internet speed for the Ooma Telo is 512 kbps, so I woud use that number, or .85 x the http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ upload speed.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 pm

thunderbird wrote:Default Upstream Internet speed for the Ooma Telo is 512 kbps, so I woud use that number, or .85 x the http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ upload speed.
I wouldn't use the default upload QoS value. Use what you measure and x .8 and bump up to a nice even number.

Brock

Post by Brock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:47 pm

I get the 80% or 85% or the value, in my case the lowest I see is about 900, so I had 720 in there since I had the unit until now when I started messing with it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I have 350 in the Ooma and downstream of that I have my router and then wireless router and I run a speed test while on the phone I shouldn't see a number above 350, yet I see 900+

Does the zero in the downstream matter? Does that then ignore the upstream value?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 pm

To see QoS value show up during speedtest, need to have phone on and talking. If phone call not going on, you'd see your ISP speeds; at least supposed to work like this.

Downstream, just disable by setting to 0.

Brock

Post by Brock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Ok, I have it set to 700 up and 0 down, still doing the same thing and still showing 900+ on the speed test.

So there is no other QoS to turn on is there? It's just the number in there right? If so I think my Ooma is bad.