Poor call quality on Second Line only

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
connorooma
Poor call quality on Second Line only

Post by connorooma » Fri May 08, 2009 8:36 am

Hi,

Issue

I'm using Premier service and have two lines setup. If both lines are used at the same time the second call initiated has poor quality. The other party says there are minor drop outs but primarily our voices sound robotic (think poor cell quality). The other caller on the second line sounds fine. Which leads me to think it is an upstream issue. The first call QOS is always fine. I tested it with my wife and can confirm that the quality of the second line is poor.

I have Modeem>>OOMA>>Router configuration. I use a cordless phone and both lines are connected directly into the hub and scout. NOT through our existing house wall jacks.

Speedtest.net tells me I have 27MBPS down and 2MPS upstream in Denver. I have QOS setup at 1500 kbps up and 5000 kbps down.

Any ideas on what to try to improve the quality of the secons line?

Cheers,
Connor

WayneDsr

Re: Poor call quality on Second Line only

Post by WayneDsr » Fri May 08, 2009 8:42 am

I've used 2 lines at the same time and quality is great on both.
My opinion: put ooma behind the router as you would a pc and control any QOS you may need via the router.
I use it this way with no problems at all.

Wayne

connorooma

Post by connorooma » Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for your reply Wayne. I don't have the ability to control QOS on my router (Nextgear WNR854T). I have read that the OOMA HUB is supposed to do the QOS for you under the MODEM>>OOMA>>ROUTER configuration. Cheers

runagun

Post by runagun » Fri May 08, 2009 2:40 pm

I would suggest to leave Ooma at default QOS. I believe its 384 upload and 0 download. I bet that should fix ur problems. Please post ur experience after this change.

Note: my setup has Qos diabled on Ooma with Qos NOT on in my router and it works excellent.