General Question on Echo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
dsb
General Question on Echo

Post by dsb » Fri May 08, 2009 12:36 pm

I know there are some issues with echo and I wanted to ask about it again.

It seems the biggest problem I have with Ooma is people sometimes hear themselves echo bad when speaking with me. I hear them perfectly and I hear myself perfectly but they hear themselves echo. This does not happen all the time however so I hate to adjust any settings.

Does anybody else have this same problem???

Thank you.

buzzman

Re: General Question on Echo

Post by buzzman » Fri May 08, 2009 1:23 pm

I have this exact problem when using certain phone (or using a headphone/speaker feature).

Try using a different phone (or quit using headphone/speaker altogether) and see if the problem gets resolved.

dlong

Post by dlong » Fri May 08, 2009 2:28 pm

This started happening here a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes, the echo is unbearable, and it is incoming and outgoing. It seems to be worse with local calls. I don't know what happened. Everything was great until the latest outages. Then the callerid disappeared and the echo appeared. Anyhow, I have faith that ooma will get this all cleared up.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 pm

dsb,

If you can keep track of the calls with echo (number, time, date, incoming or outgoing) for a little while and call ooma tech support with the information they can do some work on their logs to see if routing is a problem. I had a severe echo only on some outgoing local calls. Long distance was always OK. And some local numbers were fine. After a lot of work on their end, they changed the routing tables and did some things with their local partner. Now the echo is no longer a problem.

ooma also had me set my QOS to 768 Down and 384 Up for use with my 1.29Mbps (actual) DSL. You might try setting yours that way as well.

Also, as buzzman states, the telephone (and the one on the other end) can make a difference. And if the volume on the handset is too high, it can cause echo as well. The best phones for use with ooma seem to be either Panasonic or Uniden DECT 6.0 phones. Let us know what seems to work.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

o6richter

Post by o6richter » Wed May 27, 2009 10:01 pm

southsound wrote:dsb,

If you can keep track of the calls with echo (number, time, date, incoming or outgoing) for a little while and call ooma tech support with the information they can do some work on their logs to see if routing is a problem. I had a severe echo only on some outgoing local calls. Long distance was always OK. And some local numbers were fine. After a lot of work on their end, they changed the routing tables and did some things with their local partner. Now the echo is no longer a problem.

ooma also had me set my QOS to 768 Down and 384 Up for use with my 1.29Mbps (actual) DSL. You might try setting yours that way as well.

Also, as buzzman states, the telephone (and the one on the other end) can make a difference. And if the volume on the handset is too high, it can cause echo as well. The best phones for use with ooma seem to be either Panasonic or Uniden DECT 6.0 phones. Let us know what seems to work.

Ok the echo is showing up on a new install today. It is weak and it is the opposite direction (I'm the ooma customer and I hear myself delayed 1/2 sec very weak). People I speak with dont seem to notice it. I'm using a standard 2500 desk set - pretty ordinary. Most of the other people are also on 2500 desk sets.

Is anyone else hearing a faint echo? Other than that the call quality is exceptional for voip (I am on a 10 megabit bi-directional link over gigabit ethernet to my office)

RR

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed May 27, 2009 10:11 pm

o6richter wrote: Ok the echo is showing up on a new install today. It is weak and it is the opposite direction (I'm the ooma customer and I hear myself delayed 1/2 sec very weak). People I speak with dont seem to notice it. I'm using a standard 2500 desk set - pretty ordinary. Most of the other people are also on 2500 desk sets.

Is anyone else hearing a faint echo? Other than that the call quality is exceptional for voip (I am on a 10 megabit bi-directional link over gigabit ethernet to my office)

RR
Same advice I gave to DSB. ooma is capable of giving stellar call quality. If you are experiencing echo with a 2500 desk set, it is not a problem with the phone. It is either a problem with routing or with the "partner" that ooma uses to set up the call. Note the problem calls and give the information to ooma. They have some great tech support people who are able to work wonders at making you happy. A suggestion - do not rely on email - they respond much better at their tech support number: 888 711-6662.

Let us know the resolution. And welcome to ooma!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 am

I just had echo last night in a voicemail. However, I was testing something and I left the voicemail to myself using my cell phone and I was standing right next to the hub, so it's possible I caused it by my cellphone picking up the call screening. I'll test it again today and call my wife while I'm at work and see if the echo comes back. If it doesn't, I'll conclude the test last night that produced echo wasn't valid.

Scott