Ooma occasionally reboots when I receive a call.

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
rdross80
Ooma occasionally reboots when I receive a call.

Post by rdross80 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 am

For some reason about 50% of the incoming calls I receive, when I pick up the phone to answer, the Ooma reboots and I lose the call. Has anyone else had this problem? It is very annoying. I use my Google voice number to forward to it, so I don't know if that would be the problem, but I don't see why. I never have any problems with outgoing calls.

murphy

Re: Ooma occasionally reboots when I receive a call.

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 am

Make sure that the power connector is firmly seated into the unit.
A momentary power drop will result in a reboot.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:57 pm

rdross80 wrote:For some reason about 50% of the incoming calls I receive, when I pick up the phone to answer, the Ooma reboots and I lose the call. Has anyone else had this problem? It is very annoying. I use my Google voice number to forward to it, so I don't know if that would be the problem, but I don't see why. I never have any problems with outgoing calls.
When you say "reboot", do you mean the Ooma Telo shuts down, as if it lost power, then you see a sequence of lights, including the red flashing Ooma symbol of the face of the Ooma Telo, before the Ooma Telo Ooma Symbol turns blue again?

When the inbound call reboots the Ooma Telo, are you using an Ooma HD2 handset?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

rdross80 wrote:For some reason about 50% of the incoming calls I receive, when I pick up the phone to answer, the Ooma reboots and I lose the call. Has anyone else had this problem? It is very annoying. I use my Google voice number to forward to it, so I don't know if that would be the problem, but I don't see why. I never have any problems with outgoing calls.
Make sure you are using the right power adapter that came with your Ooma.

rdross80

Post by rdross80 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 am

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, thunderbird, that is exactly what it does, and no I am not using an Ooma handset. Also, this is now happening every time I receive a phonecall. I now just let the voicemail pick up and then immediately just call them back. Otherwise it just takes too long to wait for the reboot to take place. But I'm beginning to believe it is the power adapter. I actually misplaced the one that came with it and bought a replacement from Radioshack that has different voltages that you can switch between depending on what you need. I'm guessing I have it on the wrong voltage switch, but don't know which one I should use. Can someone look on their power plug to see if has the voltage listed? And if that doesn't work, is there any cheap way of purchasing a new plug from Ooma?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 am

The Telo power adapter is 5 volts at 2 amperes.

You can use one that provides more than 2 amperes but not less.
The voltage must be 5 volts. Lower and it probably won't work. Higher risks destroying the Telo.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bjtrott

Post by bjtrott » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:00 pm

I have the same problem with my telo. Every time a call comes in the thing reboots. Funny thing is that it started right when my warrantee was up. Is there currently a fix for this problem?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:16 pm

If you haven't done any changes to your setup, your Telo power adapter maybe failing so just call customer service and they'll ship you one for a bit under $20 including shipping and that would fix your problem.

bjtrott

Post by bjtrott » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Thank you for the input, I'll do it right away.

gzilla

Post by gzilla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:10 pm

I have a similar problem, and my Telo is only a few weeks old. In fact, this is my second brand new unit with the same behavior; so I'm sure the problem has nothing to do with the power adapter. I can make & receive calls for a little while but then if I wait about an hour and then place a call to my Ooma number, the call doesn't ring through and is instead routed to voice mail. At that moment, I see the Telo unit reboot, after which inbound & outbound calls start working again for a little while until the next failure.

Multiple calls to customer support haven't resolved the issue, though they just upgraded my firmware to 83117, which isn't listed/described on the site. So, I have no idea if this will be any more helpful than the last three tries.