Any way to make *98 permanent???

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
nxnw
Re: Any way to make *98 permanent???

Post by nxnw » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 pm

I have been having a very frustrating time with latency on my ooma telo 2. I have found however, that if I force G711 by dialling *98, the problem is alleviated. Can G711 be made permanent for all calls with my ooma telo 2?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:45 pm

looks like support took care of it

nxnw

Post by nxnw » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:09 pm

Yes, thanks Tom.

I am puzzled, though, because it appears not to have impacted latency, whereas dialling *98 still improves latency. Any idea why that might be?

teddyc29

Post by teddyc29 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:48 pm

I was wondering if there is a trick to having *98 added permeantly to my account.

I asked chat if I could have *98 the high bandwidth codec added permeantly added to my account. They directed me to phone support. I spoke with phone support and after a short time on hold they said the option does not exist.

Any idea how to have this added?

Thanks

Teddy

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16 am

see my answer on p20

teddyc29

Post by teddyc29 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for the reply Tom. I assume you mean "Please ask support to set RTP_USE_ULAW to 1 in the Info service under Services."

Is this something online chat can do? Or should I call phone support?

Teddy

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 am

chat might be able to help - went ahead and set it for you

teddyc29

Post by teddyc29 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks Tom.

I wish it was a setting we could change at our end :-)

Teddy

GJSissons

Post by GJSissons » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:32 pm

I just wanted to thank Tom B and others on the forum for this great information. I've been having the issue of the Ooma phone sounding like it was in half-duplex mode for about a year now even though my bandwidth, latency and jitter all seem to be well within tolerance from what I've read.

I like the service Ooma service a lot and had gotten use to the idea of operating in "walkie-talkie mode" and saying "over" when talking to relatives on the east coast. The *98 suggestion makes a huge difference in voice quality on my line. From the advice given I now understand how to fix this. I understand from reading some of the other threads on the forum that another potential cause of this half-duplex behavior can be a Gig-E hub operating in half-duplex mode (possibly due to an older device on a LAN segment not supporting full-duplex) - unfortunately the Hitron cable modem / router I'm using does not seem to expose these settings, so I've been a little in the dark debugging the issue. Complicated topic - Wondering if the *98 fix is just working around something else I have mis-configured in my environment. My Telo sits behind my router (embedded in the cable modem) connected via a good quality Gig-E hub with half a dozen other connected items and I confess I had not gone through the recommend steps to optimize quality for a device sitting behind a router. Like everyone these days, I have a complicated home network with cascading routers and multiple subnets. Very pleased about this tip though!

WildAboutMusik

Post by WildAboutMusik » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:24 pm

hmm.. pretty new to Ooma - but have noticed the delay myself - esp the 'talking over' people as someone else mentioned... otherwise the quality seems pretty good..
Guess I'll try and call soon and get this fixed, thanks for the info - 1 question - does this affect your internet browsing at all?