Any way to make *98 permanent???

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
kmcoch
Re: Any way to make *98 permanent???

Post by kmcoch » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:10 pm

UGH! I'm getting the delay again! It happens on outgoing as well as incoming calls. I just need my phone service to work properly!!! It just started up again about 2 weeks ago.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Does that apply if neither Telo is using Ooma handsets?
Yes

GusHerb

Post by GusHerb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Tom, how long is it supposed to take for the changes to take affect when RTP_USE_ULAW is set? I have another Telo and called CS about having the setting set, which tier2 was able to do (or so they say) and so far after about 20 minutes and two reboots nothing has changed yet. Is there a waiting period or did they not get something right? He said he changed RTP_USE_ULAW from "false" to "true".

:EDIT: Nevermind, the setting change appears to have taken place. Note to anyone having this setting changed that it may take awhile for it to actually take effect.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:12 pm

I only see your unit ending in 22. Support tried setting the value to "true". It should have been 1. Now corrected. AFAIK this is the same unit I had enabled the setting on previously.

kmcoch

Post by kmcoch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Tom, is there anything you can check on my account? You changed the settings on mine and all was working fine, but now the delay is back with outgoing and incoming calls. We have the Telo and 2 ooma handsets, as well as another set of wireless handsets attached.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Confirmed the setting is active. At present not much more I can do.

GusHerb

Post by GusHerb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Tom B wrote:I only see your unit ending in 22. Support tried setting the value to "true". It should have been 1. Now corrected. AFAIK this is the same unit I had enabled the setting on previously.
This was on a different account then the last one I asked about. I have it tied to a different email address and changed my email address in my profile to reflect that. I assume that's how you access accounts is by the email tied to the username? If that's the case you probably did access the correct account, which is the one I called CS about having them set RTP_USE_ULAW.

Support seems to not know much of anything. Glad you and the Ooma forums are here.

kmcoch

Post by kmcoch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Tom B wrote:Confirmed the setting is active. At present not much more I can do.
Tom, I'm assuming that is a reply to me. I guess I'll be calling CS again.

Thanks for your help!

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:18 pm

GusHerb wrote:This was on a different account then the last one I asked about.
Yes I access accounts by the email tied to the forum username.

joelek

Post by joelek » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I seem to have about a 500 ms delay on calls. It's not terrible, but it's annoying. If I'm not careful I end up interrupting the person on the other end. If I'm talking to some of my friends on their cells, it's really bad sometimes (presumably their cell phone has a delay as well).

Would you be able to set me up for G.711? Would G.711 help me? I have about 1 Mbps upload and 15 Mbps download, so I think I should be alright bandwidth-wise.

Thanks,
Joel

EDIT: My delay is probably more like 400 ms. Maybe that's just normal on Ooma and I'm going to have to get used to it ... ? I thought I read somewhere that the typical delay is more like 250 ms with Ooma, and that Ooma was better than some of the other VOIPs in terms of lag, which is why I went with Ooma. Maybe I was misinformed. I tried alarm mode and then made an outgoing call and didn't notice any real difference, so maybe G.711 won't help me much/any.