Configuring QoS

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
awasti
Configuring QoS

Post by awasti » Wed May 27, 2009 8:43 pm

I understand that if you put the hub between your router and the broadband modem it can control qos. However, we have just got verizon fios which comes with a unit that is a combined router/modem. It functions as a switch, wireless access point and modem. So there is no way of inserting the hub between it and the internet connection (which is a coax cable).

But the Verizon device does have pretty good qos settings in which I could prioritize ooma traffic if only Ooma provide all the information to configure it: port numbers or protocol numbers or whatever can identify the ooma traffic.

So my question is what should I enter to help my router/modem identify ooma traffic so it can prioritize it??

WayneDsr

Re: Configuring QoS

Post by WayneDsr » Wed May 27, 2009 9:02 pm

I would give priority to either the ip address of ooma, or mac address or the port number (which ever works for you) and these outgoing ports:
UDP 1194
UDP 3480
UDP 514
UDP 49000-50000
TCP 443

I have these set up with highest priority.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Sat May 30, 2009 5:48 am

I'm not familiar with your particular gateway, but I prefer to prioritize via IP address and MAC address. I feel more confident that the device will function properly in that configuration.

Those should be identifiable in you gateway's UI

awasti

Post by awasti » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. As it turns out OOMA functions perfectly even without QoS prioritization. Could be because I have a 20 Megabit connection :-) now.