International Call Quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
thunderbird
Re: International Call Quality

Post by thunderbird » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Anoop:
For the I/they cann't hear You/me problem:
If your Ooma device is connected behind your router, you might try reserving a static IP address for your Ooma device in your router, than place the Ooma static IP address in the router's DMZ.

Anoop

Post by Anoop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.
But in that case, I should face issues with domestic calls right? Or is this applicable only to International calls. I don't have any issues with domestic calls to any number in US. Can you please let me know how to set this up?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:20 pm

Anoop wrote:Thank you so much for the prompt reply.
But in that case, I should face issues with domestic calls right? Or is this applicable only to International calls. I don't have any issues with domestic calls to any number in US. Can you please let me know how to set this up?
It's a matter of which ports are used for calls to India. If the router blocks certain ports in the 10,000 to 20,000 UDP voice range, that may be used for India calls, than the problem occurs. Placing the Ooma static IP address in the Router's DMZ should help.

In the past it was just the reverse for us. We was able to call China without a problem, but couldn't hear voice for certain phone numbers in the US.

Your router manufacture's manual should give detailed instructions for reserving a static IP address for the Ooma device and how to place that address in your router's DMZ.

paladin252

Post by paladin252 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:05 am

my calls to brazil are terrible. 2-3 second delay most times, sometimes only one side of the call can talk, call back, and its the other way around, sometimes about a minute into the call it just says goodbye and hangs up on me (i had the 1000 minute plan and was nowhere near the limit). i ended up canceling my international plan.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu May 05, 2011 6:29 am

paladin252 wrote:my calls to brazil are terrible. 2-3 second delay most times, sometimes only one side of the call can talk, call back, and its the other way around, sometimes about a minute into the call it just says goodbye and hangs up on me (i had the 1000 minute plan and was nowhere near the limit). i ended up canceling my international plan.
My wife calls China all of the time without problem. But previously we had the same problems that you describe.
We have our Ooma Telo connected behind our router.
To fix the problems I first changed from using Automatic MAC Address in Ooma setup to Use Built-In MAC Address.
I reserved a static IP address for the Ooma Telo in my router. Than I placed the Ooma Telo's static IP address in the router's DMZ.
But I still had dropped calls, so I went into Ooma Setup Internet Setting and selected Static IP address for Connection Type.
I copied the Static IP address numbers that I had reserved in my router into the Ooma Setup Internet Settings page, under Static IP Options:
I than clicked on Updated Device and rebooted the Ooma Telo. After this last step everything cleared up and functioned properly.
We just came back from a China trip during which I took the Ooma Telo along. Of course I had to clear out all of the Ooma Setup setting for the various connections in China. When I came back I just installed the Ooma Telo, but didn't add the Static IP address numbers back into the Ooma Telo's Ooma Setup Internet Setting page, Static IP Options:
My wife complained that she was getting dropped calls to China. I re-added the Static IP address Information numbers to the Ooma Telo Ooma Setup Internet Setting page, and everything returned back to normal. No dropped calls or one way conversations, etc.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon May 09, 2011 12:54 am

My wife reports that her calls to China have been poor with many dropped calls this weekend starting on Friday. All domestic USA calls have been fine.