Echo in limited situations

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
scottlindner
Echo in limited situations

Post by scottlindner » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:24 am

I have been experiencing echo in certain situations but I'm not confident it is Ooma, although I have a hunch it might be more of a VOIP vs VOIP sorta thing. Twice this morning I experienced significant echo when I spoke but the caller did not here it. In both cases the destination was on the East Coast if that means anything. The second time it happened it during a telecon but only when I was using the service menu's but not while participating in the active meeting.

I had lengthy conversations with other people today that I know are on traditional landlines and there was no issues at all. The other two calls that had echo I know were also VOIP systems. It could have been their VOIP systems, it could have been Ooma, but I'm wondering, could it be a VOIP on VOIP situation?

I'm not ready to call tech support because I'm not sure it's a problem for Ooma to solve just yet. I want to know what everyone thinks about it first.

Scott

scottlindner

Re: Echo in limited situations

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 pm

We had echo again today. The wife reported it. I think it's due to the East Coast teleconferences but I can't be sure without knowing if we're using our Ooma for toll free calls or our landline. Does anyone know if Ooma will use the landline for toll free calls?

Scott

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:49 pm

If you're ooma is configured for a landline, it should be using the landline for local, toll-free and 911 calls, AFAIK.

Do you have your ooma connection tone enabled? When you hear that tone when your call is connected, you know it's using ooma and if you don't hear it, you should be using the landline. I think that's the reason behind the connection tone.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:50 am

bw1 wrote:If you're ooma is configured for a landline, it should be using the landline for local, toll-free and 911 calls, AFAIK.

Do you have your ooma connection tone enabled? When you hear that tone when your call is connected, you know it's using ooma and if you don't hear it, you should be using the landline. I think that's the reason behind the connection tone.
I disabled the connection tone because it's disruptive to the call. I never understood the motivation for that feature. It seems like an annoyance to me. Now it at least makes a little more sense.

I'll re-enable it for a short period. That's a great suggestion!

Cheers,
Scott