Incorrect MAC address

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
CharlesW
Incorrect MAC address

Post by CharlesW » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 am

Hello,

Just in case it's useful to anybody, the MAC address printed on the back of my Ooma was incorrect. (Specifically, the last digit was off by one, printed "D8" but actually "D9").

If you prefer to let your router handle QoS, it's probably wise not to assume that the little sticker is correct.

(BTW, to give voice priority on my Linksys WRT610N, I went to to Applications & Gaming > QoS, enabled Internet Access Priority, and added Ooma as a Voice Device.)

-- Charles

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Incorrect MAC address

Post by Bobby B » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Hello Charles,

Are you sure you weren't looking at the MAC address of your MODEM port (should be off by one digit/letter)? The MAC address label on the back of the ooma Hub corresponds to the MAC address of the HOME port.

You can determine which MAC is assigned to which port by browsing to Settings->Advanced in the setup page.

-Bobby
Bobby B

CharlesW

Post by CharlesW » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Bobby,
Bobby B wrote:Are you sure you weren't looking at the MAC address of your MODEM port (should be off by one digit/letter)? The MAC address label on the back of the ooma Hub corresponds to the MAC address of the HOME port.
That would explain it. My configuration is cable modem > router > Ooma Modem port. (My cable company doesn't like it when the MAC address of the thing attached to the cable modem changes.)

Should I be connecting the router to the Ooma's Home port instead?

-- Charles

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Charles,

The way you have it configured is correct -- the MODEM port should be connected to your router. If you wanted to plug the ooma Hub in this configuration:

(modem) -- [MODEM] (ooma Hub) [HOME] -- (router)

You can configure the ooma Hub to use the mac address of your router so that from the modem's perspective the MAC address will not have changed. To do this, from a PC connected to the HOME port of the ooma Hub, browse to http://setup.ooma.com and you can set the MAC address of the MODEM port.

-Bobby
Bobby B

CharlesW

Post by CharlesW » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Bobby,
Bobby B wrote:You can configure the ooma Hub to use the mac address of your router so that from the modem's perspective the MAC address will not have changed.
Thanks! I finally but the bullet and am putting the Ooma outside of the router. (I'm now having new problems, but I'll start another thread.)

-- Charles