256k upload (cable)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
gohawks
256k upload (cable)

Post by gohawks » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:34 pm

We are going to try a less expensive package for cable internet (256kbps upstream). Our current package is rated at 1Mbps upload. I have the Ooma hub placed directly behind the cable modem. Anyone have experience with a cable upload rate as low as 256k? I'll update with results when we get it set up.

scottlindner

Re: 256k upload (cable)

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 am

gohawks wrote:We are going to try a less expensive package for cable internet (256kbps upstream). Our current package is rated at 1Mbps upload. I have the Ooma hub placed directly behind the cable modem. Anyone have experience with a cable upload rate as low as 256k? I'll update with results when we get it set up.
I cannot speak for that service, but I can speak to the bandwidth Ooma's uses per line. It's about 48kbps both upstream and downstream per line. You should be fine unless you have poor QoS with that cable service.

Scott

tommies

Re: 256k upload (cable)

Post by tommies » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:15 pm

The problem vary greatly from one location to another, even with the same ISP.
You might have to try it yourself to be sure.

On paper, 256k up stream would be suffice, as in my case (I have DSL 1.5M up/256k down)

In your case, you're downgrade the service, if you don't have problem before, I guess you might have it your way.
tommies