New Ooma user....

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Keizer
New Ooma user....

Post by Keizer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:51 am

Greetings everyone!

I just purchased a new Ooma telo, and quite frankly I'm extremely gun shy after using a MagicJack. My experience with MJ was discouraging, and I finally just disconnected it and didn't renew my subscription.

My DSL internet is extremely reliable and stable. I get 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up. It's all fiber optics and my speed tests are always the same.

The main reason I want to use VOIP is the same reason for most people......to save money on long distance. I have family members that live out of state that I like to keep in contact with.

So, with all that said, I have had my eye on Ooma for awhile now. I recently decided it was time to give it a go. I've only had it a few days so I haven't had enough time to give it a really good run for its money. I talked to my mom the other day which was a long distance call. The call went well, and the sound quality was excellent. I also made other long distance calls, as well as local calls with the same excellent results. Then, there was last night. I called my brother who is long distance. The call was horrible. Sound quality was excellent, but it was just like talking on a walkie talkie. We were talking over each other the whole time. I found out later from research that if someone is using speaker phone on the other end that the call will be half duplex. That's exactly what he was doing.....had me on speaker phone the whole time. So I'm discounting that phone call experience as being Ooma's fault!

My setup is as follows:

DSL modem-Netgear Nighthawk router-Ooma telo. I set Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to "0" under Advanced settings in the Ooma telo setup page. I also reserved an IP address for Ooma in my router settings. I did nothing so far with QOS in my router settings. I'm hoping that with my internet speeds this setting won't be necessary. It's just my son and I at home. However, he's a gamer, and a big time downloader....so I may have to do the QOS settings.

Anyway, I don't really have any specific questions yet. I just wanted to say hello, and hopefully my Ooma experience will go well. I live in Wa state by the way.

bryanlyle

Re: New Ooma user....

Post by bryanlyle » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Welcome to the group. I can't promise that the ride with Ooma will always be a smooth one, but you couldn't ask for a better group of "support" people here on these forums.

Don't be afraid to ask questions!
follow me on twitter: @bryanlyle

Keizer

Post by Keizer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for the welcome!

So today I called my brother in MN....I'm in Wa state. He doesn't have a land line, so he just uses a cell phone. Anyway the call didn't sound good at all. He could hear me fine he said, but his voice was garbled, and there was also the half duplex thing going on. We were talking over each other.

So, I called him back, but this time I plugged in a corded phone to the Ooma and used that. The garbled issue was gone, and the delay was much much better. When I would talk, I could actually hear his kids in the background, unlike the first time I called on my cordless.

My cordless phone is a newer at&t DECT 6.0 phone. I have the base about four feet from my router and Ooma telo.

Do corded phones typically work better than cordless with the Ooma?

sabretooth02

Post by sabretooth02 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:31 pm

I only have DECT 6.0 cordless phones in the house and all works just fine. It maybe just your phone.

Redsfan

Post by Redsfan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 am

I use Panasonic BT cordless DECT and love them..no issues

rpiotro

Post by rpiotro » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 am

If you haven't already, disable the DECT radio in the Telo. It may be causing interference with your cordless phone. Something free and easy to try.
"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

JohnParks

Post by JohnParks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:38 am

I'm confused. I've had no trouble with my Ooma and Bell Fibre connection. Bell Canada fibre optics directly to my condo and the ethernet to Ooma, TV and my computer. 940 Mbps down and 931 Mbps up. Netflix HD movies are outstanding.