Static

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ahteneyck
Static

Post by ahteneyck » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:01 am

I've had Ooma for about a month now and during that time I also had a landline. Now I have had that landline disconnected and have a new Ooma phone #. While I had the landline I had no static but heard an echo usually during the first few seconds of the phone call. Now I don't know if I have an echo as I just got the new phone # and had the landline disconnected today but I do have static. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the static. It's not terribly bad right now (I can still hear the other person on the line, but it is bothersome) but I would still like to fix it if possible.

Any suggestions?

kinorob

Re: Static

Post by kinorob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:10 am

Ever since switching to Ooma, I have also experienced static on the line. It happens no matter what phone I use. I am not using a landline.

When speaking with my wife from a landline at work, my Ooma line sounds like a cell phone with a weak battery ... the static is quite noticeable at times.

I'm hoping this can be fixed sometime.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 am

kinorob wrote:Ever since switching to Ooma, I have also experienced static on the line. It happens no matter what phone I use. I am not using a landline.

When speaking with my wife from a landline at work, my Ooma line sounds like a cell phone with a weak battery ... the static is quite noticeable at times.

I'm hoping this can be fixed sometime.

Are you guys connecting the Ooma to your existing phone wires or connecting a telephone directly to the "Phone" output of the Ooma hub?

I once had static, but it turned out it was my house wiring.. once I went to a plain setup (direct cordless phone to the Phone output) of the hub, no more static.

Give it a try?

ahteneyck

Post by ahteneyck » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:34 am

Are you guys connecting the Ooma to your existing phone wires or connecting a telephone directly to the "Phone" output of the Ooma hub?

I once had static, but it turned out it was my house wiring.. once I went to a plain setup (direct cordless phone to the Phone output) of the hub, no more static.

Give it a try?[/quote]

I'm not quite sure I understand. I have the Ooma hub connected to the modem and the computer; then I have the Ooma connected to the wall jack through the wall output on the Ooma; then I have the phone connected to the Ooma through the phone output on the Ooma.

Is there another way to set this up?

trim81

Post by trim81 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 am

ahteneyck wrote:Are you guys connecting the Ooma to your existing phone wires or connecting a telephone directly to the "Phone" output of the Ooma hub?

Give it a try?
I'm not quite sure I understand. I have the Ooma hub connected to the modem and the computer; then I have the Ooma connected to the wall jack through the wall output on the Ooma; then I have the phone connected to the Ooma through the phone output on the Ooma.

Is there another way to set this up?[/quote]

Try to isolate the problem, by plugging in a SINGLE telephone to the "phone output" of the Ooma.

(basically only plugging in 1 single telephone for now, and testing the connection. Also remove the wall output of the ooma for now)

skellener

Post by skellener » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:56 am

Now that my number has been ported over and I am completely on VOIP through a cable modem using Ooma, I get zero static and a better quality connection than I ever did with my POTS landline.

ahteneyck

Post by ahteneyck » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:52 am

Try to isolate the problem, by plugging in a SINGLE telephone to the "phone output" of the Ooma.

(basically only plugging in 1 single telephone for now, and testing the connection. Also remove the wall output of the ooma for now)[/quote]

I disconnected the wall output and have only one cordless phone plugged into the phone output of the Ooma. I thought that it was better the first few times that I made a phone call, but yesterday I called my mother who is across the country, and while she didn't have any complaints about the sound quality, there were times when I could only hear part of what she said. There wasn't static per say, but just it was like her words were replaced with silence. HELP?!? I am getting frustrated with this.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:11 am

ahteneyck wrote:Try to isolate the problem, by plugging in a SINGLE telephone to the "phone output" of the Ooma.

(basically only plugging in 1 single telephone for now, and testing the connection. Also remove the wall output of the ooma for now)
I disconnected the wall output and have only one cordless phone plugged into the phone output of the Ooma. I thought that it was better the first few times that I made a phone call, but yesterday I called my mother who is across the country, and while she didn't have any complaints about the sound quality, there were times when I could only hear part of what she said. There wasn't static per say, but just it was like her words were replaced with silence. HELP?!? I am getting frustrated with this.[/quote]

Is this international calling you are calling? (different country?) or is this call within the USA?

Many times calls outside the USA (aka international) are not as clear as calls in the US.

ahteneyck

Post by ahteneyck » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:38 am

No, this is a call within the US. I just mean it is across the US, between Wyoming and Maine. Whether that makes a difference or not, I don't know.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:41 am

ahteneyck wrote:No, this is a call within the US. I just mean it is across the US, between Wyoming and Maine. Whether that makes a difference or not, I don't know.

how is your setup? is the Ooma placed right after your dsl/cable modem?

Or is it plugged in back of a router?

If the Ooma is placed behind your router, you might want to try plugging the Ooma rioght behind the cable/dsl modem just for testing purposes.