Call Quality Deteriorating Over Time

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
eapples
Call Quality Deteriorating Over Time

Post by eapples » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:34 pm

I've been experiencing deteriorating call quality that keeps getting worse. It used to happen "occasionally." Now it's happening with every call, regardless of the other person's carrier, and regardless of whether or not I originate the call.

In the middle of a conversation, the call drops intermittently, and then comes back on with the other person's voice sounding robotic. This happens several times during a call, with each drop lasting perhaps 5-10 seconds. It has reached the point where I am considering getting rid of Ooma.

The phone setup in my house is all cordless, except for one wired phone which we rarely use. I have four Panasonic cordless phones, and two Ooma phones.

When the problem first surfaced several months ago, I called tech support. Whatever the technician did seemed to solve the problem at that time. The call quality was relatively unhampered until these past few weeks when calls would routinely go out and come back in with that robotic voice. I don't know if I'm coming through as a robotic voice to the other person. But, the person on the other end of the line indicates that he/she can't hear me, or that my voice drops out intermittently.

I called Ooma again. Again the technician did something that worked for one day. Now, whenever we get a call, we have to tell the caller to call us on our cell phones because we don't know how long we'll go until the other person's voice drops, or even if we'll lose the call entirely, which happens occasionally (soon to be routinely, I fear).

The Telo is connected to the modem, which is actually a combination router/modem from our cable company. Our phones are connected to the wall jacks. Everything worked fine when we first got the service. We've had the service for about six months. Our contract is up in April 2016.

eapples

Re: Call Quality Deteriorating Over Time

Post by eapples » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm

I've since resolved the problem with my ISP. I upgraded my service, which seems to be working so far. No dropped calls, and no fading voices or anything like that.