HD2 revD: garbled audio in speaker mode

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Tom
Ooma Moderator
HD2 revD: garbled audio in speaker mode

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:58 am

Software for a new revision of the HD2 handset has a bug causing garbled audio in speaker mode when pushing the volume above 4 bars. A software fix for this will be released ASAP.

dramsier

Re: HD2 revD: garbled audio in speaker mode

Post by dramsier » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Good thing I saw this post - I was about to pack up the HD2 handset I just bought and send it back.

It is definitely bad (basically unusable) at 4 bars plus, but it can get bad at the minimum volume as well. Do you have an approximate time frame on when the fix will be available?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:22 pm

dramsier wrote: It is definitely bad (basically unusable) at 4 bars plus, but it can get bad at the minimum volume as well.
Another option would be to use a Panasonic system plugged into the Telo phone port.

My Panasonic is a 2-line system, so I use both the Telo and a Linx with it. Depending on which Panasonic base you purchase, it has a 6-12 extension capacity. With the Ooma HD2, the max is 4.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

dramsier

Post by dramsier » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Thinking about it.

I bought the HD2 to replace an old Uniden system (two cordless handsets) that was plugged into the Telo phone port. The Uniden system was reaching its end of life, and I liked the idea of eliminating the extra base unit and was expecting great audio quality with the HD2.

I only really need one handset, but two would be fine as well. Any particular Panasonic model you'd recommend looking at? Main criteria is good audio quality at a reasonable price, preferably with minimal base footprint.

Thanks!

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:46 pm

If you have Ooma Premier, and want a 2-line system, this Panasonic unit has a 6 extension capacity, and comes with one handset: http://amzn.com/B00F9Z3RWO

For Basic users, I have a friend who likes this model: http://amzn.com/B00ISKW2UK

Ooma's HD-quality feature only comes into play if both parties have Ooma and are using HD-compatible phones. I am used to having the Talking Caller ID feature from Panasonic, so it would be hard for me to switch to another phone system without that feature. :)
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

dramsier

Post by dramsier » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look!

I've only got basic OOMA/one line, and it doesn't get used a lot (cell phone is used mostly). I'm looking at this model too, seems like a reasonable option...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KXTGC21 ... op?ie=UTF8

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Yes, the customer ratings "bar graph" looks good for that model.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

wrhyyz

Post by wrhyyz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:23 am

Glad I saw this as well.

Had the initial problem of "Connecting" which is gone, must have had a new version pushed to the Telo.

Now virtually unusable due to the fluttering/garbled voice, even when it is the voicemail prompts.

Hope a solution is really ASAP and not dragged out.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Once a solution is available the update will first be pushed out to those who have reported the problem. Not everyone uses speaker mode.

The beta release support is using to remedy this problem in the field (131430/131429) has a bug where part of the caller name of a previous call can show up in the current call. This will be fixed in the next beta.

tis_himself

Post by tis_himself » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:28 pm

I have this issue. Severely. How do I get the update pushed? I need to know because these arrived yesterday and if they're going to be stuck with this poor quality, they're going back.