Horrible echo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
thak777
Horrible echo

Post by thak777 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm

After initial testing worked fine, I finally got my old number ported today.

I called someone with no issues, but on the first incoming call, I could hear myself clearly repeating everything I'd just said with a 5 second delay. Obviously, this is not good.

Any ideas how to address it?

Yes, the Ooma is behind a router.

Yes, I have a wireless handset connected to the Ooma.

But I'm confused why my test calls to/from cell phones<->Ooma didn't have the echo problem, but landline<->Ooma did...

Thoughts?

misterbeeez

Re: Horrible echo

Post by misterbeeez » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:05 am

Hi..

Just to add another "voice" to your complain... I hear terrible echo when I place a phone call.

My Ooma is right after my modem, then in my router.

It's a wireless phone, with 5 slaves.

let see what can ben done!!

Ben

RWCarr

Post by RWCarr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:09 pm

I am having the same problem, an echo with about a 1 second delay. But it is mostly with calls made to Germany. I'm in California. The echo on domestic calls is not a severe one.

I tried calling the test numbers both domestic and in the UK. They don't have any echoing. I have a cable internet with lots of bandwidth (90 mbps down, 6 mbps up) and no contention from any ongoing network activity. www.speedtest.net shows the full bandwidth available all the time.

We call family in Germany often and that was one of the motivations for getting Ooma. It's starting to look like a bad investment. I'm starting to look at the alternatives. It's probably too late to get my Ooma investment back, but if I could find a better VOIP solution, I wouldn't worry about that.

Richard

smallmj

Post by smallmj » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:46 am

I've had similar problems calling the Netherlands. It seems that there is some echo cancellation software that doesn't work well for distant calls with longer delays. It also doesn't help that when there are voice problems people tend to speak louder, making the echo worse. And Dutch people are awfully loud to start with, at least in the family I married into.

neh

Post by neh » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:20 pm

We have had the same problem for the past several months. We have tried moving the Ooma device to behind our router, had Ooma tweak our device several times, but nothing has worked. We have isolated the problem to calls to land lines both domestically (including our area code) and internationally. Calls to cell phones work great. I suspect something is amiss in Ooma's connection to traditional phone systems. We're also in California so the problem could be nearby.

Customer service on this issue has been appalling. We almost cancelled completely, but now just limit our calls to phones that work.

stege

Post by stege » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 am

Have the same problem with Echo, but only when I call Germany, I heat double or triple Echos and the receiving end hears
only part of what I speak. Service Center in the Philippines In Manila is unable to fix it. They and me could use some HELP.

JackSpear

Post by JackSpear » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:52 pm

I've had Ooma for over a year now and always had the echo issue. It's so much that when on WebEx calls for work (from home), it gets embarrassing knowing that I'm causing the echo for everybody else on the call.

I used to have Vonage for a very long time until I switched to Ooma after a friend suggested and regret doing that just for this echo issue. With Vonage not even once I had this issue and will probably switch back to it even though it costs a little more.

fibercarbon

Post by fibercarbon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:22 am

I have been a premier member for a long time and I still have callers all the time that say there is a Buzzing/Humming noise on all the calls.. I have no idea how to fix it.. I have tried 3 different routers and am on the comcast 150mbps cable internet.. My ping and speedtest are all perfect even had comcast check the lines several times.. Ooma cant seem to fix the issue with my ooma box and its annoying because I am paying 15$ a month for this and I use it everyday..
I am thinking about switching to Vonage at this point if I dont get an email or a fix from OOMA like yesterday.... :cry: :?: :?:

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:09 pm

JackSpear wrote:I've had Ooma for over a year now and always had the echo issue. It's so much that when on WebEx calls for work (from home), it gets embarrassing knowing that I'm causing the echo for everybody else on the call.

I used to have Vonage for a very long time until I switched to Ooma after a friend suggested and regret doing that just for this echo issue. With Vonage not even once I had this issue and will probably switch back to it even though it costs a little more.
I've had the same thing happening. Can't figure out if it's Ooma, or my Panasonic DECT phone. If I mute at my phone, other people notice echo. If I mute using the Webex control panel (on the webex side of the call) then the echo goes away.

AFOSAWIPS

Post by AFOSAWIPS » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm

Have had Ooma since last June. The Ooma device is between the modem and router (previous posters seem to have it both before or after). The echo seems to be especially prominent on calls to other VOIP lines as opposed to traditional land lines and generally no echo issue with cell phones. Will try not using speaker phone and see if that helps and perhaps asking the other party to do same. Wish I'd kept my landline when I am on one of these calls.