Poor Scout call quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
scottlindner
Poor Scout call quality

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:16 pm

There are a few people that have had poor quality with their Scouts, while having awesome quality with the Hub. I have been having the same scratchy and staticy problems with my Scout. It is off and on. Sometimes it's just fine, sometimes it's just faint enough to not really bother me, and others time I just hang up (but that's rare). When I use the Hub it's perfection every time. Has anyone made any progress diagnosing this issue? I have tried the short little telephone line directly connecting the Hub to the Scout and there is no apparent improvement.

Cheers,
Scott

ggilman

Re: Poor Scout call quality

Post by ggilman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Do you have any other signals on your house wires, such as phone line based networking or landline?

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Actually with the short wire test you did, that should already rule out interfering traffic. Ignore my post. Somehow I misread that part.

I've been having intermittent connection issues myself and talk exclusively via scouts (hub is dedicated to fax). I hadn't considered scout issues, chalking it up to instability in my cable connection, which I still believe it likely is. However, now that you've brought it up, I should probably look into the scout issue myself as well.

I recall reading some posts concerning hub issues but never paid much attention to them before. Guess I'll have to go post-hunting now.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Hay Scott,

You know I have the same issue but I think I found a solution...

Drum roll please...

Telo! :)

Seriously though, I submitted my testing/results on this issue to the ooma support people and have yet to get a response...
Go AVS!

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I have the same problem. I have not tried to connect to hub with short cable or run any other tests. The scout calls sound good to me but the other party complains of static, crackle. I can switch the call to the hub and everything sounds great.

sj

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:38 am

I have line 3 dedicated to just Hub and Scout communication. As you noted, I also have tested with a short dedicated wire to eliminate my Cat6 runs in the walls.

One thing that I have been considering is that it may not be the Scout. It could be the Hub, even though the problem presents itself when using the Scout.

It sounds like I need to contact Ooma support. I have a friend with an unused Scout. I might ask him if I can try it to for a while.

Scott

StigMX5

Post by StigMX5 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:56 pm

I also have problem with static on a scout connected phone as in the thread http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=883.

I called my work voicemail and listened to it from the hardline as they did in that thread. The static is there on the scout calls, but not on the hub calls. I started researching this after my sister-in-law stated to my wife that her voice had static but my wife never heard any.

I've still got a landline running over my inside phone lines, as I'm waiting for my new punch down block so that I can separate out the Ooma and Scout on Line 2 and the phones on Line 1. Then I'll disconnect the landline and see if the static continues.

Hope someone reports back a solution.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:45 am

StigMX5 wrote:I've still got a landline running over my inside phone lines, as I'm waiting for my new punch down block so that I can separate out the Ooma and Scout on Line 2 and the phones on Line 1. Then I'll disconnect the landline and see if the static continues.
I already have this setup. I have a Cat6 patch panel, two lines or more of Cat6 run to each room, a 24 port gigabit switch, and an RJ45 phone module. I have tested each run up to 1Gbps Ethernet so I know all runs and termination are adequate. Then when I need a phone line in a room I move the patch cable from the gigabit switch to the phone module. So far I only have three connections in my phone module. I put the hub on line 1, scout on line 2, and hub/scout communication on line 3 (nothing else). I get static with this, so I tested with the hub and scout right next to each other with a short line of phone cord and it's the same regardless.

I suspect there isn't anything we can do about it other than contacting Ooma. Based on the other posts this hasn't resulted in any change. I am going to see if I can borrow a friend's scout and see if that will help.

I just started using my Scout about two weeks ago so this is a new thing for me regarding call quality.

Scott

StigMX5

Post by StigMX5 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:34 am

I emailed support about this a couple days ago and haven't heard anything back. Just checking if anyone else has heard anything?

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:37 am

StigMX5 wrote:I emailed support about this a couple days ago and haven't heard anything back. Just checking if anyone else has heard anything?
Nope. However, this seems to be fairly "universal" so hopefully they are working on it.
Go AVS!