Poor Scout call quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
scottlindner
Re: Poor Scout call quality

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 am

Also try twisted pair for the phone line between Hub and Scout. UTP was designed as a very cost effective means of removing interference. If this is an interference problem then it could be related to HPNA over straight pairs (not twisted) as the cause.

I'll build a special cable to test this.

Scott

bluechalk

Post by bluechalk » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:26 pm

I am also suffering from scratchy voice when using the Scout. Like everybody else, the problem is only in one direction, speaking on the Scout phone and listening on the far end. Has anybody found a way to resolve this problem? Has ooma acknowledged that this is a general issue and added this to their internal bug list?

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 pm

A couple of days ago I completed isolated my Scout connection to the Hub. There was a considerable improvement in the voice quality using Scout. One way for you to test would be to connect the Scout directly to the Hub with a short cable and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then there is some interference in your wall cabling. If not, it might be the Scout itself.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:53 pm

scratchy static noise can mean poor wiring connections to wall jacks
as you found out it went away with a clean direct connection

bluechalk

Post by bluechalk » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 pm

I tried a 6-inch cord between the Hub and the Scout. I still get the scratchy noise. It only happens at the louder syllables of the person speaking on the Scout-connected phone. It sounds to me like overflow in processing the digitized voice, so that the most significant bits are overflowing into the least significant, causing scratchy noise. I tried this with three different telephones, and they all did the same thing. I don't have this problem with phones connected to the Hub; they all sound great.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:54 pm

there is a known issue with call quality on scouts

bluechalk

Post by bluechalk » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:19 pm

niknak: Thanks for your response. Are you saying that ooma has acknowledged that this is a general issue and added it to their internal bug list or are you saying that many people have complained on this board?

StigMX5

Post by StigMX5 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Tech support responded that they are replacing my scout. I should get it next week and I'll let you know if there is any improvement. If so, then it would be a bad run of scouts. If not, well, I guess Telo is the only answer.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:53 pm

niknak wrote:scratchy static noise can mean poor wiring connections to wall jacks
as you found out it went away with a clean direct connection
HPNA is digital. Either you are connected, or you are not. I suspect some other form of interference that affects the Scout only.

Scott

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 pm

StigMX5 wrote:Tech support responded that they are replacing my scout. I should get it next week and I'll let you know if there is any improvement. If so, then it would be a bad run of scouts. If not, well, I guess Telo is the only answer.
I borrowed a friend's Scout and didn't notice a difference. For me the problem is intermittent. I'm starting to suspect something environmental but I'm not sure what just yet.

Scott