Poor Scout call quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
bluechalk
Re: Poor Scout call quality

Post by bluechalk » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 pm

The problem could be in the Hub, since the Hub is processing the digital data received from the Scout.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm

bluechalk wrote:The problem could be in the Hub, since the Hub is processing the digital data received from the Scout.
I have wondered about the same thing since most people that have tried new Scouts haven't observed any change.

Scott

alex6001

Post by alex6001 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:42 am

I had the same issue. Hub works great, while my voice is broken on scout. I ended up giving up on scout by just using hub.

jm9496

Post by jm9496 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:28 pm

scottlindner wrote: HPNA is digital. Either you are connected, or you are not. I suspect some other form of interference that affects the Scout only.
I was going to say this but you beat me to it. I suspect either there is an analog hole in the Hub were the HPNA connects to the Hub A<>D, or there is a problem with the Scout FXS port. It ain't the wiring. Has anyone popped these things open to see what chip are in them? anyone disect the kernel modification to see if the HPNA is a network device within linux on this device?

on a side note, what is with the goofy HPNA implementation on the scout anyway? why not just use Ethernet on the already existing asterisk software and Ethernet ports?

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:10 am

jm9496 wrote:on a side note, what is with the goofy HPNA implementation on the scout anyway? why not just use Ethernet on the already existing asterisk software and Ethernet ports?
Many of us have been wanting this!
Go AVS!

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 am

...has anyone popped these things open to see what chip are in them? anyone disect the kernel modification to see if the HPNA is a network device within linux on this device?..
This is a violation of the Ooma Terms of Use Agreement

jm9496

Post by jm9496 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:32 am

niknak wrote:
This is a violation of the Ooma Terms of Use Agreement
nope.

The kernel is licensed under GNU GPL The source is available here: https://www.ooma.com/linux/

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Aveamantium wrote:
jm9496 wrote:on a side note, what is with the goofy HPNA implementation on the scout anyway? why not just use Ethernet on the already existing asterisk software and Ethernet ports?
Many of us have been wanting this!
I have requested this a long time ago, but the general forum opinion is that it was.... well.. a really stupid idea.

I'm with you guys, it makes perfect sense to me. Especially when you start to consider that homes are being wired with Cat5 to each room, but punched down for phone only. With only one Cat5 run to each room you need to choose: phone or network. Ooma could change that and give you both.

Scott

jm9496

Post by jm9496 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:19 am

Are those of you having problems with scout quality using it with a POTS line/dsl line also on the same UTP wires?

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 pm

jm9496 wrote:Are those of you having problems with scout quality using it with a POTS line/dsl line also on the same UTP wires?
I'm using it direct connected to the phone.