XC Latency Question

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: XC Latency Question

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 am

done

geoart

Post by geoart » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:02 pm

For those who have have asked to make *98 active/default on your account and have since asked to be moved to the East Coast server and still hear grumbling sounds I would recommend reverting the *98 setting back to *96 (essentially setting RTP_USE_ULAW back to 0).

Since doing so I had nothing but fantastic call quality! Finally. Highly recommend if you have grumbling sounds still and have asked Tom to make the *98 (RTP_USE_ULAW=1) on your account from the popular thread here to revert back.

You can test by changing your ooma's Mode setting setting below which will set outgoing calls only the default iLBC voice codec (*96) instead. If you have better success with call quality like me so far then have Tom or call customer service preferably to revert your setting back (RTP_USE_ULAW=1) on your account and change your mode settings back.

1. log into https://my.ooma.com/preferences/devices
2. choose the gear icon and choose Edit
3. change Mode from "Phone/Fax" to "Alarm system" (this will force a *96 which is the iLBC codec which is default)

Essarbee

Post by Essarbee » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:55 am

Hello Tom,
We too are in Upstate New York and have long suffered with latency---until today we learned Ooma now has an East Coast server. We confirmed this AM with Chat support that we are on the West Coast server.
Can you please move us to the East Coast Server?
Thank you.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:06 am

Essarbee, pcdoctor01 : already on EC server.

DCUNY, lantana, tstarks : moved to EC server.

ufd108

Post by ufd108 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:53 pm

I just purchased an Ooma Telo. How do I know which server I am on? When I tried the new Ooma today I noticed considerable lag.

Thanks

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm

moved to EC server

BBJR

Post by BBJR » Tue May 30, 2017 9:52 am

I'd also like to know what server I'm on. I'm on east coast so east coast server I hope. If not please change me.

WildAboutMusik

Post by WildAboutMusik » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:34 am

ok - still having issues here also - just called 866-711-6662 spoke with William - he said he changed something with my bandwidth and had me restart modem and router...
I asked about the East Coast server (since I'm in MD) - he knew nothing about that - said that had to do with your internet provider???
I'll give it a call or 2 and see if it's still there - but almost done...

WildAboutMusik

Post by WildAboutMusik » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:45 am

ok so no - it takes 10+ sec from the time I stop dialing until it actually 'rings' to the other person :/
can anyone tell which Server I'm on???

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:33 am

Since you are on the east coast you should be on the east coast server. It has nothing to do with your internet provider. It's to avoid having every word that you speak having to make two trips across the country which is where the delay comes from.

Are you using 10 digit dialing? If you are using 7 digit dialing you have to dial a # at the end of the number to let them know you are done dialing.

I recommend enabling 10 digit dialing in your account and making all calls by dialing 10 digits..

Only Ooma can switch you to the east coast server. If the person you are talking to doesn't know how to do it ask to be escalated to a higher level person that does know how to do it.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx