Delay / Echo / Lag etc

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Jordan
Delay / Echo / Lag etc

Post by Jordan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:57 pm

First day with Ooma - I've read all the posts about echo but not sure what to do on my end. I did a live chat earlier and went through a speed test thing. "Problem fixed, monitor for the next 24 hours then call support if problem comes back". Called the test phone # immediately and of course it was the same long delay. Live chat says I'm on the west coast server (I am on the west coast).

So from my limited knowledge I accessed my Arris SBG6782 router - looked in the QoS settings, but none of it makes sense so I didn't tinker in there.

Confused if this echo is due to hardware / software on my end or is it on Ooma's end?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Delay / Echo / Lag etc

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:55 am

Which test phone # are you referring to?
And are you experiencing echo or 'talking-over-each other' ?
If echo I assume your side hears the echo?

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Tom, the phone # I'm calling is 909-390-0003.
The delay is over 1 second.
Constant talking over each other. Nearly impossible to have a conversation.
Both sides hear the echo.

jonja1

Post by jonja1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:37 am

Hi: When I am on a conference call, the other users complain of a terrible echo when I am on my Ooma. This goes away when I am mute or using my cell phone. I do not hear the echo. I am on the East Coast and have no idea whether I am on the East Coast server. I suspect I am not.

WildAboutMusik

Post by WildAboutMusik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Very frustrating - I've been having problems with the delay for the year I've had Ooma so far - has gotten worse the last couple months - and the 'echo' lately is awful!!!
I tried calling Cust Support today - they had me reboot Ooma, plug it in directly to the Modem (which didn't work at all) and then she wanted me to do something else, that was already 20 min in and I had an appointment to get to....
maybe have to go back to a true 'landline' or just cancel and save the $5.35/month cuz the quality has been stinking :(

moorpau

Post by moorpau » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:18 am

Hi,
We are new to Ooma. Unfortunately having a phone call is very painful. There is always a delay so we end up talking over each other, and then waiting, then talking over each other...

On a recent call the person on the other end couldn't hear me at all but I could hear her. Then when I called back apparently it sounded like I was under water.

Help please! We are Very Disappointed with this service. It was my understanding that the calls would be crystal clear. That is why we purchased Ooma. We might as well just use our cell phones. The quality is much better on the cells.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:06 am

Run the html5 version of this test.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

All of the result buttons should be green.

Since people are having trouble hearing you I expect the upstream measurement will not be green. In my case I was losing up to 17% of the upstream packets. A new modem fixed that problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

moorpau

Post by moorpau » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks Murphy for your suggestion. I did a test to check if our internet is suitable for voip and it came back ok.
Unfortunately in order to take the test you posted, it requires downloading software onto my computer and I am not comfortable doing that.