Half Duplex Conversation

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
swbrains
Half Duplex Conversation

Post by swbrains » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm in the Tampa, Florida area (West coast). I've had problems for quite a while (> 1 year) with conversations that are half-duplex. While the other person is speaking, they can't hear me if I try to speak at the same time, and vice versa. Frequently I can hear myself in the phone speaker a second after I've finished speaking.

My internet service is quite good: 35 ms ping time, 100+ mbps download and 10+ mbps upload, consistently. My modem is a Motorola SB6141 and functions fine. It doesn't matter which phone I use as the Ooma adapter is connected to the house wiring so all phones are on Ooma.

Anything else that I can try to help correct this? Otherwise, the voice quality itself seems fine on both ends (as I'm told by others that I speak to). I read here that people on the East coast might need to be moved to an East coast server to reduce delays. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Vinnie

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Half Duplex Conversation

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:26 pm

moved your telo to East Coast server

swbrains

Post by swbrains » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I'll keep and eye (and ear) on it in the next few days as I make or receive some phone calls.

Thanks,
Vinnie

gee

Post by gee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:47 pm

OK, I'll bite - Tom, how does one move their Telo to a server of their choice ?

I've looked at my various options and settings on-line. I don't see anything about setting or choosing a server

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:40 pm

You don't. Tom is an Ooma employee.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

MsM

Post by MsM » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:18 am

I've had problems for quite a while (> 1 year) with conversations that are half-duplex. While the other person is speaking, they can't hear me if I try to speak at the same time, and vice versa. Frequently I can hear myself in the phone speaker a second after I've finished speaking.

Anything else that I can try to help correct this? Otherwise, the voice quality itself seems fine on both ends (as I'm told by others that I speak to). I read here that people on the East coast might need to be moved to an East coast server to reduce delays. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Vinnie[/quote]

I'm in Toronto Canada. This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. Did moving to the east coast server help? Would it help me in Toronto? Is there anything else I could do? (I already have the handset volume at its lowest setting.)

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 am

gee, MsM : moved to EC server

MsM

Post by MsM » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:23 am

Tom B wrote:gee, MsM : moved to EC server
Thanks Tom for the very quick response. I'll disconnect the unit for an hour, reconnect and call somebody to see if it helped.

MsM

Post by MsM » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Update
My ooma is working much better. The echo is gone and the talk over / lag issue is not completely gone but much improved. Thank you very much Tom and Ooma support.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 pm

MRV : moved to EC server