New to Ooma, disappointed with call quality...

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
jonja1
Re: New to Ooma, disappointed with call quality...

Post by jonja1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi: When I am on a conference call, the other users complain of a terrible echo when I am on my Ooma. This goes away when I am mute or using my cell phone. I do not hear the echo. I am on the East Coast and have no idea whether I am on the East Coast server. I suspect I am not.

WildAboutMusik

Post by WildAboutMusik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Very frustrating - I've been having problems with the delay for the year I've had Ooma so far - has gotten worse the last couple months - and the 'echo' lately is awful!!!
I tried calling Cust Support today - they had me reboot Ooma, plug it in directly to the Modem (which didn't work at all) and then she wanted me to do something else, that was already 20 min in and I had an appointment to get to....
maybe have to go back to a true 'landline' or just cancel and save the $5.35/month cuz the quality has been stinking,,

would moving me to East Coast help ??? or the permanent *98???

I'm in Maryland - have Comcast internet 150mbps

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:42 am

To move the Telo to your modem you must turn the modem off. If it has a back up battery, it must be disconnected.
Cable modems memorize the first MAC address to connect after power on. They block all subsequent MAC addresses. This is how the cable company guarantees that you can get only one internet address from them.

Try it again but turn the modem and the Telo off.
Power the modem on and wait until it completes synchronization with Comcast.
Then turn the Telo on.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 am

jonja1 was moved earlier; moved WildAboutMusik as well

WildAboutMusik

Post by WildAboutMusik » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Thank you Tom!! Will see how it works tomorrow - I did still have some echoing earlier today.

albertsay

Post by albertsay » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:24 am

Hi, can you check if I'm on east coast server? I also experience poor quality and dropped calls.
Thanks
Albert

bain63

Post by bain63 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:54 pm

New to OOMA as well.

My call quality is pretty suspect. Listening isn't too bad, but people say I sound like I'm in a server room.

When I set up my voice mail and recorded my name, I could finally hear what they were describing. The voice quality is bad.

I've tried both a corded and cordless (DECT 6.0) handsets. No difference.

I see mentions of moving people to different coastal servers. Does that really help?

What about those of us right in the middle of the country?

Thanks.

Delboy99

Post by Delboy99 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:45 pm

I am from Calgary, AB and have recently signed up for Ooma. I find the call quality is pretty poor with lots of lag. My internet is fast enough. Is it possible to check I am on the optimal server ?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:34 pm

all three telo are on the optimal server.

for those with the telo behind a router see if your router supports setting QoS.

mich12bud6

Post by mich12bud6 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 am

I am also new and have noticed some echo and static on the line. I have a cable modem and am getting download speeds of about 35 and upload between 3-5. Shouldn't be having any issues I wouldn't think.