recently experiencing "dead spots"

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
compsult
recently experiencing "dead spots"

Post by compsult » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Happy with ooma. The last month (maybe 2), I have been experiencing a few seconds
where voice is lost (person on other side cannot hear anything and starts saying "are you still there?")

JerryD

Re: recently experiencing "dead spots"

Post by JerryD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Have you installed a different phone? I have a cordless phone where if I don't hold it just right, I get this as well.

compsult

Post by compsult » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:23 pm

I actually bought a new phone set thinking the phone was defective.
Same thing with the new phones...

compsult

Post by compsult » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:28 am

This was my annoying interaction with Ooma chat -- didn't answer any of my questions, just told me to reboot..

Liza: I understand your concern Mike. I’ll be more than happy to assist you.
Liza: I am sorry to hear that.
Liza: When did this issue start happening?
You: about 4 weeks ago
You: I already bought a new phone set thinking the phone was defective
Liza: Have you tried to reboot Ooma?
You: no
You: can you verify that is the issue?
Liza: Call quality depends with your internet connection.
Liza: Right after this chat, please reboot the Ooma device. This is the first troubleshooting step that we need to do to make sure that the device is “refreshed”. It is done by unplugging the power cord, wait for 30 seconds before plugging it back.
Liza: Rebooting might take within 3-5 minutes.
You: I have a 75MB connection with verizon, it is quite good
Liza: Once rebooted, please check it again.
You: this happens sporadically - is there anything you can check or change on your end?
Liza: In order for us to isolate the issue, please try to reboot the Ooma device first.
You: is there someone I can call?
Communication with the Oracle Service Cloud Chat service has been lost. Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.
Disconnection in 240 seconds.

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:25 am

Two questions: Did you reboot? If so, did it fix the problem?
I've learned over the course of a lot of years that power-on-resets (reboots) will solve a lot of intermittent or flaky problems on computers and other electronic devices. Doesn't hurt to try.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

compsult

Post by compsult » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks kdmc69.

I did reboot but the problem is very intermittent, so it will be days to see if it is fixed...

compsult

Post by compsult » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 pm

I think the frustrating part was that I asked for diagnostics and none was offered or provided

dwatson3

Post by dwatson3 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:05 am

I'm just into my second Ooma month and still haven't resolved this 'dead spots' issue.
Our 'spots' are often ~10 seconds long but only on the outgoing path and only after the call extends a few minutes - never incoming - these are becoming more frequent.
We've substituted a corded phone / have taken the Ooma to another home to use a different modem/router / have checked I/O parameters and found no hardware issues (multiple times) with our ISP and local LAN hardware, have set up QoS, have created several case reports with Ooma service department, .... but can't resolve the latency or dead air time for the persons we might call. :o

My guess ... thermal issue in buffer memory in Ooma device ... is this reasonable?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:59 am

Is the person that this is happening to a female?
There is a situation where some female voices simulate the twin tones of a touchtone. When Ooma decodes a touchtone they block the audio path and send a high quality touchtone. Has the person at the other end ever mentioned hearing touchtones when the audio disappears?

It even has a name. It;s called "Touchtone Talk Off".
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx