Also Poor Call Quality in Florida

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
sysrpl
Also Poor Call Quality in Florida

Post by sysrpl » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:30 am

I'm in Florida and have had an Ooma Telco since September 2016, but recently everyone I call tells me my voice is breaking up and hard to understand. The inbound voice is good, I can understand people talking to me, they just can't understand me when I talk.

When I googled "ooma problems" the 3rd google result was this link:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20685

I've called Ooma tech support, received a ticket, but have yet to receive an answer or fix.

Can someone help me fix this problem? Possibly the link I posted above may help an Ooma support person research and fix my issue.

Thank you.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Also Poor Call Quality in Florida

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:43 am

moved your telo to the East Coast server.

do you have QoS enabled on your router for the telo?

sysrpl

Post by sysrpl » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:41 pm

After reading your reply I unplugged my Ooma Telco device and plugged it back in after a minute. I called some people and the quality is still very bad.

I also tried calling the same people using a free VOIP service from my PC with the same ISP/modem configuration. The difference was dramatic. The other party could hear me clearly, they expressed relief in the improved sound quality, and their voice was actually much more clear to me as well.

I've tried buying a new telephone unit, moving the Ooma device so that my network configuration goes like Modem -> Ooma -> Router, talking to Ooma tech support and opening a ticket, and now your telo change to the East Coast server. The sound quality problems still persists.

As a side note, when I use the network configuration of Modem -> Ooma -> Router, I lose about 30mbit of speed across all speed test services. I normally get 100mbit down and 10mbit up, and it goes to 70mbit down with 10mbit up, while ping is about 20ms. I also game some on the same network and I turn on the network graphing tools while doing so. I have no lag and no packet loss problems while gaming, if that means anything.

Regarding the QoS setiings, I'll have to rewire my network to get into those settings on the modem.

My Omma teclo device was purchase in October 2016. If it's under warranty can we try swapping out my device for a new one? How would I go about doing that?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Try setting QoS on the router. Also try using a different router port with a different cable. Unlikely it's a hardware issue.

sysrpl

Post by sysrpl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 am

Tom B, I tried actually remove the router entirely, wiring the Omma Telco device directly to my cable modem, and the problem persists.

Also, if I wire the Modem -> Ooma -> Router -> PC, when I run speed test using a few different websites I lose 30mbit down out of my 100mbit connection.

I bought this Ooma Telco in October 2016. What do I need to do to RMA it for a new one if the device might be faulty?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:42 pm

call support

sysrpl

Post by sysrpl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Update

The problem is fixed. I tried replacing my cable modem with a newer model and everything is working good. Thanks Bob for attempting to help me with this issue.