no audio on incoming calls to Ooma Telo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: no audio on incoming calls to Ooma Telo

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Moved your telo to the East Coast server. Does this happen on inbound or outbound calls? On some calls or all calls?

DebS

Post by DebS » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:40 am

Sorry for the delay in replying - will run a few tests and get back with the results.
The problems were primarily from one number (my parents magicjack number) but occasionally from other numbers. Thanks - I'll be back later!

DebS

Post by DebS » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:27 am

I've done a few tests.
Voice lag seems to be a lot less and conversations are much better, however some incoming calls are still "dead" with no audio - they can hear me say hello, but I hear nothing on the line. I call them back and both of us can hear the other. The issue seems to be more prevalent with my parent's magicjack but it has happened and it only seems to be on incoming calls to our Ooma.

DebS

Post by DebS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:16 am

MagicJack seems to be blocked by Ooma but I don't know why. MagicJack can call anyone on the planet and have no problems but if they call me, there is no audio at my end - I cannot hear them, but they can hear me. I can call them without issue - audio good both ends. We've not changed any setting in our Ooma that would indicate an issue with audio from this ONE number. It is like Ooma is blocking MagicJack services although I'm not sure how they would do that. It is so strange as my parents have not changed any options at their end either. I don't know anyone else that has Ooma that I could test this with. Perhaps we need to try another service provider to see if the problem persists.

DebS

Post by DebS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 am

Was looking through My Ooma and found something on the prepaid activity page showing my parents number as a US number (our numbers are both in the 204 area code in Manitoba Canada). It has one call listed:

Called Number Destination Start Time Duration Rate Cost
(204) xxx-xxxx Us USA/Canada Sep-03 10:55 pm 0:02 0.0¢ CAD $0.00

Now, if memory serves me correct, after this date I also started getting a prepaid account balance message before I made a call (which I thought I turned off, but my ooma shows it still on ??). Is it possible that Ooma thinks this is a call from a US location that I need to pay for and is cutting off the audio? It sounds strange, but I'm wondering if this prepaid account stuff is somehow related to the calls not coming through properly.

Anyone have any experience with the prepaid stuff? I don't call anyone outside of Canada or US and both of those list the rate as $0.00 so I don't need to keep any money in the prepaid are - my balance shows $0.00.

Thanks!

DebS

Post by DebS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Yup, me again.
I am getting prompted every few calls to my parent's number that my prepaid balance is $0, then Ooma disconnects. When I re-dial, I get through. EVERY time my parents call me, they can hear me but I hear nothing. Somehow Ooma had gotten the idea that my parent's number is one that must be a paid call or something and is not allowing the calls to complete properly on a regular basis.
Voice lag is still there, not as bad as before, but still there.
Ugh, this is frustrating.

tkd71

Post by tkd71 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:09 pm

a quick update on my original post for anyone who might find this useful.
my ooma telo has been working great since the software update, all calls crystal clear, none ever dropped, no lag. upgraded my internet from 15/15 to 25/25 with current Telus (BC, Canada) router on their fibre optic network. that's pretty basic in the streaming-everything era, but shows how well ooma utilizes available internet speed.

DebS

Post by DebS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm still having issues on my Ooma - what software update are you referring to - something for the Ooma Telo?

No testing has proven definitively where the issue is, nor has anyone gotten back to me to investigate further after I opened a ticket with Ooma. Dunno what to do.