no audio on incoming calls to Ooma Telo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
tkd71
no audio on incoming calls to Ooma Telo

Post by tkd71 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:17 pm

- my ooma telo worked perfectly up until december 2016, across two ISP's; Bell (fibe) and Telus (fibre optic). I changed to Telus upon moving to a new city, kept the same number for awhile, changed to a 'local' number and the ooma worked perfectly during the whole process for more than one year. nothing had changed with my ISP or router settings before or after the decline in call quality.

- my setup looks like this: Telus fibre optic service --> alcatel lucent fibre optic modem --> Actiontec T3200M router --> Ooma. I have 2 other wired (LAN) connections to the router and several devices connecting to the router wirelessly (WAN)

- all the incoming calls on my ooma telo ring, but for half there is no audio from the incoming caller. some calls go through to voicemail, some don't. I can see the incoming caller ID and call them back without a problem. there is never any problem with outgoing calls, which are crystal clear.

- my problem, setup and ISP are similar to the one at the link below. I previously had the same router, until Telus offered to update/upgrade it. http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19571

- ooma technicians were always helpful in trying to troubleshoot the problem by phone or email. Some things the ooma techs suggested:
---- check my router setting to make sure no ports were being blocked --> Nothing is blocked, all ports open by default.
---- call my ISP to have them confirm no ports are blocked and test the quality and speed of my internet connection --> adequate internet speed for Ooma to operate (~15Mbps up/down), same speed I've used for years, nothing blocked.
---- check if router supports 'quality of service', in order to give priority to specified devices on my network --> router doesn't have that feature. Remember the Ooma worked perfectly on the same setup, without any QoS features.
---- ask ISP if they can reduce the directional jitter and/or packet loss pointing to San Fransisco, CA --> ISP (Telus) couldn't detect any problem, tests through a browser from home seem fine to me.
---- Ooma kindly offered to send a new Ooma Telo. Setup and connection worked out of the box. --> at first the problem seemed resolved, we could hear incoming callers from numbers from which we often heard no audio. Soon afterwards the problem worsened and we're back to where we started.

Not sure what else to try. I don't want to mess around with putting the Ooma in DMZ, port forwarding, etc...the device should work as it always has; out of the box. Any ideas most welcome.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: no audio on incoming calls to Ooma Telo

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:49 am

see if this new release makes a difference but most likely something changed in your upstream network

lem9

Post by lem9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:20 pm

I have the same problem as "all the incoming calls on my ooma telo ring, but for half there is no audio from the incoming caller. some calls go through to voicemail, some don't". I am using a HD2 handset.

Also, for some outgoing calls, for the first 15 seconds or so after the call is connected, there is no audio.

The difference from the original poster is that my Telo 2 is connected like this:
modem -> Telo -> router. It's running Version: 173997.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:43 pm

please try now

lem9

Post by lem9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Looks fine now; did you push a fix to my Telo?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 pm

adjusted QoS

lem9

Post by lem9 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:19 am

Tom,
you have disabled QOS (both settings to 0) on my Telo.

Maybe this document needs updating?
http://support.ooma.com/home/configurin ... of-service

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 am

if your upstream is >= 10 mbps there is no need to enable QoS (0 means disabled)

lem9

Post by lem9 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:31 am

So the QOS document should be updated to reflect this.

pmasline

Post by pmasline » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:37 pm

I have Ooma for about 6 weeks now. I've had no problems until this past week. I'm now having the same problem as the original poster. At least half of the incoming calls have no audio when I answer and the caller ends up going to voicemail. We've also had similar problems on outgoing calls. I hear the phone ring and the call appears to be answered, but I only hear silence on the other end. After about 30 seconds or so I hear a dial tone.

I'm setup as the instructions suggest: modem -> Ooma Telo -> router. Any suggestions or help resolving this are very much appreciated.