Need OOMA help and ideas...

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
testy
Need OOMA help and ideas...

Post by testy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:16 am

I am a new Ooma user, starting in mid January 2017. All was well.

I have cable internet, which goes from the cable modem into the OOMA, then out to the router. I have the house wiring connect to the phone port on the OOMA. Former incoming landline is totally removed. My total REN is 3.

Everything on the network is hard-wired. All house wiring is CAT5E, the router/modem/OOMA patch cables are all CAT6, with a minimum length of 1 meter.

Since mid February, phone quality has really declined. I have called tech support several times, and opened several tickets. This may have possibly started with the new firmware that has been on the unit for several weeks now, but I am not 100% sure of this. It does not seem to matter which phone I use, as I have experienced problems on all of them.

Current typical problems:
1-dial a number, and hear nothing. Try again, and all is well.
2-an inbound call will ring twice, I am unable to answer, it goes to vm (I am set to 7+ rings).
3-call comes in, I answer it, hear nothing.
4-call comes in, they hear me, I don't hear anything.
5-call log shows missed calls, that never ring or go to vm.

This is very frustrating to all involved. My son tried to complete an interview over the phone, and had to switch over to a cell phone.
There is no rhyme or reason, no consistency. Everything will be good for a while, then suck canal water for days.
I end up looking at my call log daily, and calling people back that cannot get thru.
Firmware was 156393, now is 173997.
OOKLA speed test consistently shows downloads @ 17.5Mbps, uploads @ 1.1Mbps, Jitter @ 1mSec, Latency @ 24 mSec.

A) I got an email 3-13-17 around 5pm (see next line below), but problems still exist after this email.
tbx donea adjusted QoS, please try again now and report back [---001:000369:37269---]
B) My voicemail has been set to 7+ rings (45 seconds).
C) Should "10 digit dialing" be on or off? What is the trade-off ?
D) My "minimum duration" is set at 3 seconds" what should it be set at ?
E) Can I try the East Coast server to see if that helps? Others seem to have great success.

I don't have much hair left to pull out, so please see if you behind-the-scene geniuses can work some good old OOMA magic. Let me know what I can do on my end. Don't forget to provide some input on items C and D. Thank You.
Last edited by testy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RichL

Re: Need OOMA help and ideas...

Post by RichL » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:03 am

Testy
Sounds very frustrating. From reading the posts on this forum it seems that most of the users have a setup with [Modem] -> [Router]-> [Telo]. I would try that setup with the phone plugged directly into the phone port and not into the house wiring. Doing some testing with that setup narrow your problems down and help the more experienced users here figure out what is going on.

C:) Ten digit dialing: I like it because I don't have to know if I need to dial the "1" before the number or not. The trade off is a longer connection time. I have had to wait as long as 13 seconds.
D:) If you have the minimum set to 3 seconds and someone leaves a voicemail that is 1 or 2 seconds it will not be saved.
Rich

testy

Post by testy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:30 am

Hi Rich;

For the connection configuration, I followed the diagram on the set-up guide poster that was recommended, which was meant to give the OOMA priority over everything else on the network.

As far as using just a single phone connected directly to the OOMA; that would be very difficult to do, due to the layout of the phones, the router/modem/OOMA, and the house.

With the 10 digit dialing, if you dial the "1"; isn't it now an 11 digit call ? I am now confused...........
Last edited by testy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:17 am

Testy
If you have 10 digit dialing enabled then you do not have to dial the "1" no matter where you are calling. Just the area code and the 7 digit phone number.

Do you have an old touch tone phone that you can plug into your router? -Just for testing.
Rich

testy

Post by testy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:23 am

Hi again Rich;

I certainly could do that, but making that phone the only usable phone, in a corner of the basement, it is unlikely to be used, heard, or answered.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 am

Can you plug the phone in then try to make a few outgoing calls? Then you can change it back.
Rich

testy

Post by testy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:39 pm

So now, armed with my Forums login, I poked around reading many different posts.

I went into the Ooma setup page, which is jammed full of all sorts of neat information, and changed 4 things.

-Disabled DECT, as I have no wireless devices connected to the OOMA.
-Changed Upstream QoS from 1250 to 1100. (15% less than actual)
-Changed Downstream QoS from 0 to 16500.
-Set the voicemail to 9 rings, 55 seconds. (This was done via the My Ooma dashboard).

I would still like to try the "East Coast Server" and see if that helps with my situation.

I guess the man to ask for this is Tom B., so Tom, please make the switch for me. Thank you in advance sir.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:19 pm

testy wrote:Hi Rich;

For the connection configuration, I followed the diagram on the set-up guide poster that was recommended, which was meant to give the OOMA priority over everything else on the network.

As far as using just a single phone connected directly to the OOMA; that would be very difficult to do, due to the layout of the phones, the router/modem/OOMA, and the house.

With the 10 digit dialing, if you dial the "1"; isn't it now an 11 digit call ? I am now confused...........
For setup guide see step 2:
http://support.ooma.com/assets/pdfs/Oom ... 27-400.pdf

testy

Post by testy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 am

Found this from Guru Tom, and thought I'd insert this here for the 10 digit dialing related info:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Telo receives calls but does not make calls
Postby Tom B » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:07 am

You've had 10-digit dialing enabled since 3/2. From the attempts this AM it appears the number you're trying to dial starts with your area code and ends with 3844. Is that correct? However there's a number of attempts to 7241844 and also a couple of 8- and 9-digit attempts. These all appear to be misdials.

With 10-digit dialing enabled you can dial any one of these ways:

1. dial 10 digits, starting with the area code
2. dial 11 digits, so with leading 1
3. dial 7 digits then #, so excluding the area code (the # terminates the wait for additional digits)User avatar
Tom B
Ooma Moderator

E-mail Tom B
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------