Recent call quality issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Amitnf
Re: Recent call quality issues

Post by Amitnf » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 am

Update - Oct 27th
Hi TomB,
I called support to have ulaw changed back, apparently they will be contacting you to have it switched back to G711. They already confirmed I am on east cost server.

I like you to please revert these changes for restoring Fax transmission and call quality.

thanks,
Amit

homeuser

Post by homeuser » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 am

Haven't used Ooma much yet. Sometimes it works great. Other times, so much echo that it's easier to just use my cell. Mostly got it and premium service with hopes of using my fax, but that's not working out so good either.

homeuser

Post by homeuser » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 am

Is there a way to tell if you are connected to EC server? Wondering if my Ooma Telo would work better if it were.... Having echo and sometimes calling out no ring, no anything...

shawnphlur

Post by shawnphlur » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:43 am

Hello, not sure if our issue is the same as everyone else, but we have intermittent (frequent) issues where we can hear the other party but they can't hear us. Started happening a few months ago...I thought it was our ISP (Spectrum) but reading this forum makes me think it could be an Ooma issue. Please advise.

oostburg

Post by oostburg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Same here. Happy for 5+ years, but not so much lately. Outgoing calls seem OK, but incoming only can hear other party 50% of the time. Rather concerning, and likely looking at other phone options. With Premier I am at over $17/month. Maybe just need to go with more minutes on my cell plan...

donberg

Post by donberg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Help! I'm also having problems with intermittent sound quality.

wallyky

Post by wallyky » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 am

After 5 years or so of stellar service, I too have been having recent issues with the other party not being able to hear me. This occurs on both incoming and outgoing calls, and has even happened in the middle of a call.

My Telo is in front of my router, and VOIP line quality tests reveal no issues. Something has changed in the last few weeks that is killing the reliability.

This is a big issue, as my mother-in-law has cognitive issues and it greatly confuses her when she gets a call and "nobody is there".

Please help!

fatboydave

Post by fatboydave » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm in the same boat. VERY FRUSTRATED!!
I ended up buying another Teleo because support said it was bad. That wasn't the problem!!

I bought another modem because Cox support said it wasn't performing adequately. That wasn't the problem!!

I'm about to switch if this doesn't get better. No problems for 2 years and now this shit!

Teleo in front of router, 100mbs from Cox, still get intermittent call deadness and hear parts of conversations. Answer the phone and you have to wait to say hello or the person calling can't hear you! Do something OOma!

RKL&N

Post by RKL&N » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 pm

I'll add my $.02 worth on this issue too. We've been using Ooma for a couple of years, and likely have experienced uplink voice quality issues all along. We never hear problems on this end of the conversation, but whether the call is incoming or outgoing, the party on the other end, often, but not always, complains they can't hear or cannot understand us.

I've called my cell, or had the wife call my cell, and what I hear is break-ups and what I think dropped packets would sound like. Wife has been complaining about it for many months, so I don't really know how long we've been having issues.

We've tried a variety of Qos setting on the router, moved the Telo between cable modem and router, ISP installed a new modem earlier this year and nothing has made any noticeable difference, so far. Just doesn't seem like a hardware issue on my end at all. Is there anything I can do about quality of service beyond my own hardware?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 am

Run the html5 version of this test

https://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

I was losing up to 17% of my upstream packets which makes a mess of the audio.

There should be no packet loss in either direction. All of the indicators should be green.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx