Recent call quality issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
murphy
Re: Recent call quality issues

Post by murphy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:08 am

It may not be the Ooma hardware. The only time I have had a problem in the last 11 years was when my modem started to fail. It started randomly dropping up to 17% of the outbound packets.

Run the html version of this test

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

It will ask you to download a helper program so it can run the test from your computer.

The result will have colored bullet points. All of them must be green.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kriemer

Post by kriemer » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:30 am

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately the link you provided no longer offers the "helper app" you mentioned. I also notice that the Which VOIP site provides test values that are significantly worse than any of the other speed test services or applications I've tried (none of which are my ISP).

BTW, my router is less than a year old
The Ooma box is hardwired to the router
I have tried changing the Cat 5 cable twice with no improvement
We have made no physical changes to the installation from the point where we changed the router last September (well in advance of the current problem).

So in the end I can only assume the problem belongs to Ooma, especially considering the many other recent complaints of poor service.

Thanks

k

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:11 pm

I keep making calls where the caller can't hear me, or when they answer, I get a fast busy. If I receive a call, often we can't hear the caller. (I can't say with certainty what they hear, though some have said it's silent.) Sometimes a second or third call is issue-free, other times it's the same.

kcdealer99

Post by kcdealer99 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 am

This has started happening to our system as well. Nothing we've tried has improved it.
Telo_BK wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:11 pm
I keep making calls where the caller can't hear me, or when they answer, I get a fast busy. If I receive a call, often we can't hear the caller. (I can't say with certainty what they hear, though some have said it's silent.) Sometimes a second or third call is issue-free, other times it's the same.

smili

Post by smili » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:53 pm

I've recently had issues also.

- On incoming call my phone range, and when I picked up all the caller hears is static. Tested multiple times.
- On outgoing call connection went through properly and we both could hear ok.
- Had another caller tell me the call just wouldn't go through when they tried to call me.

arjay571

Post by arjay571 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:51 am

I recently started having the same issue. I've been using Ooma for nearly 20 years and have generally had good service.

However, a few weeks ago I started getting static on incoming calls -- you can't hear anyone talking nor can they hear me. When this happens, I can't make outgoing calls either.

The problem goes away after a while, and then I can start using the phone again.

What could be happening? And how can I fix it?