Recent call quality issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
murphy
Re: Recent call quality issues

Post by murphy » Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 am

The router and the Ooma both have radio transmitters and receivers. If they are too close together the transmitter of one blocks the receiver of the other. Similar to trying to listen to soft music while someone is screaming in your ear.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Thu May 07, 2020 11:34 am

Socal wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 am
... Bottom line: Any interference with the Ooma device will cause phone service problems. It isn't Ooma....it's something going on between your devices. Try moving them around. I'm back to flawless service again!
Socal - You've inspired me (and gave me something to do during this boring lockdown). I have 2 hard-wired Telos here in Florida behind my router that have given many years of good service, but recently folks complain our voice drops out and periodically is distorted. This happens on both Telos. I think my network isn't the problem because there's no complaints with VOIP calls using Skype and T-Mobile WiFi calling.

Both Telos were on a shelf behind my desk closely stacked with several wireless devices and many RF-noisy devices, so I moved both of them to the other side of the house far from any interfering devices.

TwoBears

Re: Dropped Calls

Post by TwoBears » Sun May 10, 2020 2:43 pm

I have had Ooma for 5 years with no problems. I recently moved and changed to an Xfinity combination modem/router the Arris TG3482G.
Now my calls are routinely and randomly dropped. Sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after a longer period of time.
Previously I had a separate router and modem, with the modem and router separated by about 3 feet. I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems with a combination router/modem or is this just an Ooma problem?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun May 10, 2020 3:12 pm

The modem and router being close together is not a problem. The Telo and router need to be separated since both have transmitters and receivers.

Paul1

Post by Paul1 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:38 am

Thanks for that post as I am experiencing the same problem with Cox disconnecting every time I connect my OOMA device after 3 minutes.I have been using OOMA for two years with no problems and this problem just started recently after I replaced my modem and router with a combination AARIS SBG10 modemrouter.
I'm very happy with the AARIS performance but will replace it with a separate modem router if that would help.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon May 11, 2020 9:23 am

Run the html5 version of this test.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

It will install a helper program on your PC so it has something to talk to.

All of the result icons should be green. It found a failing modem for me.

Post by 2393538469 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 pm

I have been an Ooma user for 11 years. Recently I have been having issues with the service. People calling me to say they hear ringing but get no answer. The phone never rings on my end. Sometimes I activate my handset to dial and I have no dial tone. I have also suddenly begun to have static on some calls. I have two Ooma units. HELP! :shock:

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue May 12, 2020 1:54 pm

How are the Telos connected, series or parallel?

If series did you change the DHCP server in one of them to something other than 172.27.35.1?
For example 172.27.36.1. This is required or they won't know how to route packets.

If parallel are they both connected to LAN ports on a router or a switch connected to the router.

Hopefully they aren't connected to a switch that is connected to the modem because that won't work.

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:12 am

I've had terrible call quality with Ooma for awhile now and can't understand why. It literally sounds like they are underwater. I'm at the point of just ditching Ooma if the call quality can't improve. I ran the VOIP tests mentioned above and all the circles were green so it should be working:

Jitter was at 0.4ms
Packet loss at 0.2%
Download connection packet loss at 0%
Connection MOS score at 4
Connection Download MOS 4.2
Download speed 7Mbps (150Mbps connection)
Upload Speed 6.7Mbps
Consistency of Service at 86.2%

So why does Ooma consistently sound terrible on my end?

kriemer

Post by kriemer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Ooma is starting to fail the all important wife test!!! Please help!

I like many have been experiencing call failures, poor sound quality, feedback, no dial tone, and conversation lag over the past few months. I put it down to the explosion in calls from the Covid-19 pandemic. My wife on the other hand is far more utilitarian, she doesn't give a tinker's dam as to the why's; she just has expectations that she will be able to make and receive calls and the quality will be per our past excellent experience with Ooma.

I have placed a number of calls to Ooma support, the best solution offered is akin to a placebo; they suggest that I reboot the Ooma box.

Please, Please, Please. If transferring me to the east coast server will help, do so. This is driving my wife crazy and as a consequence me.