Recent call quality issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Re: Recent call quality issues

Post by 6192236329 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Same here, so tired of people on the other end telling me my voice keeps cutting out....
Anyone ever get this resolved or is time to look for some other service?

john.galt

Post by john.galt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm

We have started using cell phones more, and when port out to google voice. I think my poor com cast internet is to blame.

agbiggs

Post by agbiggs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:49 am

After 10 years with Ooma I'm on a last gasp before dumping it. I've got 450 mbps download and around 20 upload, but I still get garbled sound on the Ooma (placed after the router) if the internet is downloading anything. If I connect the Ooma before the router, the sound is still not perfect and my internet speed drops from 450 to 78 mbps.

I've repeatedly contacted Ooma customer service and even the upper-tier support isn't helping. It's all "Can you reboot your Telo," and stuff like that. I think the support guys just don't have that much knowledge of the settings that you read about on this forum. Very disappointing, because Ooma has some features -- like the instant second line -- that my local internet provider doesn't offer.

john.galt

Post by john.galt » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:04 pm

I went one step further after initial voice quality problems. I made the ooma my network router; it is connected to my cable modem on 1 port, and internal switch, APs, some PCs are connected downstream on the internal port. Point being, ooma is able to prioritize voip traffic. All to no avail. In advanced tab of ooma telo page, statistics tell the story. Jitter, latency, and dropped packets on the poor quality calls tells me the telo is having trouble on the path upstream.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:21 pm

I think many users miss the point that while Ooma provides the 'endpoints', overall quality is subject to infrastructure not subject to their control.

- Try testing your internet connection (small SW pkg install is required... safe) & if issues are detected, scroll down page for troubleshooting suggestions:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip-test.htm

- Have you PROPERLY configured QOS on your router? RTFM

- If you are connecting your Telo wirelessly, try it wired. I'd bet $$$ on it being the source of many problems reported here. It might be convenient, but it's an unreliable choice.

And then there's the potential for a bad cable between Telo-router, router-modem, etc. Even if you can download/browse, you may be experiencing issues that would only be really obvious for real-time situations (VOIP).

agbiggs

Post by agbiggs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:03 pm

In my case I've tried wired to the modem, wired to the router and wireless to the router. In all cases I'm getting garbled voice quality.
Wired directly to the modem may be a bit better, though still not acceptable (or comparable to the voice quality I've had in 10 years so far with Oooma), plus it completely destroys the bandwidth available to my other devices (from 450 mbps down to around 80).

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:22 pm

None of which I suggested. I've had my Telo wired behind my router since 2014 & aside from the delay (which I got used to over time), my service has been great. Oh, I did need to replace the supplied ethernet cable.

Of course the Telo throttles bandwidth, as it's only a 100Mb interface. This is why most suggest a 'behind the router' config, w/ QOS configured on the router.

Testing your connection, as suggested, might indicate a piece of equipment is going bad...a stretched cable, a modem/router which has taken one-too-many power hits, etc. Just because it has 'worked since... ', doesn't mean something hasn't changed, but were it something related to Ooma infrastructure, I believe far more users would be complaining.

agbiggs

Post by agbiggs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks, TonyW, I appreciate your help.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:07 am

I wish that I had? Troubleshooting is a step-by-step, often time-consuming thing which usually starts with a 'please reboot... ' & continues, eliminating variables. Sadly, there's rarely an 'easy button'.

Sorry to come across as grumpy... no 'scuses. Happy Thanksgiving.

Socal

Post by Socal » Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 am

About a year ago I began having issues with Ooma calls dropping. It didn't matter if it was an incoming or outgoing call. All calls dropped. I have cable internet service and the internet connection also disconnected intermittently. I replaced the modem with a Motorola MB8600 and the router with a D-Link AC3200 Ultra router, but still no improvement. A couple weeks ago I moved both the cordless phone and the Ooma device to another electrical outlet about 8 feet away from the modem and router. I have had flawless service ever since. Not a single dropped call and the internet isn't disconnecting either. Manufacturers of wifi extenders recommend never placing the device in an outlet that is near cordless phones, microwaves, and bluetooth devices because these items cause interference. Apparently the same thing happens when you place an Ooma near the modem and router. Try separating your devices by some distance and, if possible, use separate outlets to reduce interference. BTW...many years ago I used Cox Cable Company's combo modem/router/digital phone device that included digital phone capabilities, but I wanted to use Ooma to reduce costs. The Ooma device was impossible. People couldn't hear me and calls dropped. The moment I bought my own modem, the Ooma worked perfectly. I concluded the Cox modem was sending a phone signal that conflicted or interfered with the Ooma device. Once I got rid of the Cox modem, I apparently eliminated the competing digital phone signal being transmitted by the Cox modem and the Ooma worked perfectly. Bottom line: Any interference with the Ooma device will cause phone service problems. It isn't Ooma....it's something going on between your devices. Try moving them around. I'm back to flawless service again!