getting Ooma to cooperate with my original answering machine

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
testy
getting Ooma to cooperate with my original answering machine

Post by testy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:21 pm

I have my Ooma Telo 2 connected (everything is hardwired) to my entire house phone network. Modem to Ooma, then Ooma to router, using my original phones and my original home answering machine. I have the Ooma box set to 9 rings so it won't pickup. My original home answering machine works fine. It will answer the calls and record the messages perfectly. I am unable to dial in to enter the answering machine numeric prompts using either a landline or cell phone away from home. I am unable to use the telephone number pads to get thru the Ooma box to access my original home answering machine as I had been able to do previously from any phone anywhere. It worked fine using my previous VoIP thru Time Warner Cable, but not at all with Ooma. Setting the Ooma box into alarm mode made no difference.

Any ideas as to how I can access my original home answering machine?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: getting Ooma to cooperate with my original answering machine

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:52 pm

When you call in with your cell, answer with one of the phones attached to the telo instead and see if you can hear the digits on the telo phone when you press them on your cell.

testy

Post by testy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Tom;

Just did your test with my cell phone. I can hear the tones on a regular phone connected to the Telo2.

There is about a 2.5 second delay before they come, and the tones are very short bursts, maybe 1/2 second long per tone, and very garbled with static, even if I punch the buttons slowly.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:37 am

Why would you want to continue using a legacy answering machine when Ooma comes with a great voicemail service that includes flexible notification options?

DCUNY

Post by DCUNY » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:14 pm

I didn't see the OP mention if they are Premier or not.
A lot of the cool features are for Premier customers only.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:20 pm

You do not get live voicemail monitoring with Basic, so if I were a Basic subscriber, I would definitely prefer to use my own answering system to screen calls as I do now.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions