Downstream QOS setting is resetting to zero

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
NewAtOoma
Downstream QOS setting is resetting to zero

Post by NewAtOoma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:16 am

Hello!

When I first got Ooma, the call quality wasn't the best, either upstream or downstream. Then I read about adjusting QOS settings. (By the way, my Ooma is connected directly to my modem.) I adjusted my QOS settings as follows:

My ISP upload speed is 1.25Mbps, so I set Upstream QOS to be 1,000 kbps.
My ISP download speed is 3.5Mbps, so I set Downstream QOS to be 3,000 kbps.

After I did that, everything worked great for a day or so. Then my downstream quality (when the person on the other end of the phone call is talking) started sounding bad. I checked, and my Downstream QOS had reset to 0. I put it back to 3,000 kbps, and everything was fine for another day. Then it reset to 0 again. I've done this probably four times now. The Upstream QOS stays at 1,000 kbps, but the Downstream QOS keeps resetting to 0.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
Steven
Last edited by NewAtOoma on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Downstream QOS setting is resetting to zero

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:11 pm

See my comment here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20769&start=60 Setting downstream doesn't do anything so the code resets it to 0. We will be removing it from the UI. Your upstream BW is low so per the comment I've changed your upstream to 0.

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi, Tom.

Thank you so much.

So if the action that fixed my upstream problems is inappropriate due to my bandwidth, and the option that seems to fix my downstream problems is going away, what other options do I have?

Can you please check my settings to see if there's anything else I can tweak to improve my call quality?

Oh! I just reread my original post. I made a mistake in that post. My ISP download speed is 3.5Mbps, not 1.5Mbps. I'll edit the original post.

Thanks.
Steven

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I should be more specific with my problems. That might help you, Tom (or anyone else)!

When I'm on the phone with someone, their voice will sometimes become robotic and digital-sounding. And sometimes, their voice will cut out completely for a moment. As for upstream, I believe the complaint was that the person on the other end would hear an echo in the conversation. But that was fixed by setting upstream QOS to 1,000 kbps.

And my latest speedtest (8:40pm, June 4, 2017) looks like this:

Download: 3.49Mbps
Upload: 1.18Mbps
Jitter: 0.87ms
Packet Loss: 0%

And, if it matters, I'm in North Carolina, USA.

Thanks!
Steven

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 pm

moved your telo to East Coast server

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Tom, I don't know exactly what that means, but judging by the number of people asking to be moved to the East Coast Server, it must be a good thing. Thanks!

IMissMaBell

Post by IMissMaBell » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm having the exact same issue with My Ooma M/N110-0119-202
I have about 15mbs up and 250mbs down. I'm on the east coast server.
As long as I put my Qos at 8192, people can hear me well and I can here them.
But at least every day or two, the Qos is reset by Ooma to 0. When this happens
other people say they can't understand what I am saying and I frequently hear them\
with much distortion.
Tom, you said this is not needed, but for me, you are incorrect.

I don't know what to do. I've had the Ooma for years, but have been putting up with the constant garbling.
Maybe I need to go to a Google Voice hardware box.

Half the time I can't send faxes unless I change the Qos from 0 to 8192. I'm sick and tired of having to log into the machine and mess with it this frequently.